Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flloooooosh  (Read 882 times)

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flloooooosh
« on: March 25, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

If you dig a big old waterworks reaching 11 levels under your brook and controlled with hatches and somewhere along the way you dig yourself some underground water channels to give yourself a well and some water clear down there, and one level below that you've put a channel at the bottom of an underground pond to use later, and then you build a lot of channels to give yourself a 1 deep flood in a 19 x 24 field...

When you dig the last square between the channels and all the water in your waterworks, it really comes out. Like it fills a 1 x 17 section of corridor in one "step".

Poor miner drowned immediately. And he was a square beyond the floodgate so there was no saving him if he couldn't move a single square. And he couldn't. That also means no burial I guess. Or recovering his cool Steel Pick.

Drowned sod

One level above

But holy crap I thought it would go slower than that.

It's all from a running brook btw.

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flloooooosh
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »

Yeah; water just teleports.  It's kind of amazing to watch.

You can go a dozen or so tiles while drowning though (but, unless you're trained in swimming, you can't swim up), so, as long as there's a path to safety, your minor would have gotten out.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flloooooosh
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »

Well, I dug a farm next to the regular river, but underground, and the soil was actually.. soil, so I didn't have to water it.  But I dug a stairway down a ways into my mine and flooded the crap out of everything anyway, because I wanted to.

i was already suffering at 17fps and by the time all of my excavation and water release was done, I was down to 5/6fps and gave up.  What was your fps like before you told the little dwarf boy to remove his finger from the dike?

igless