Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making the game fun/violent again?  (Read 1106 times)

MinethatCrackers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making the game fun/violent again?
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:11:34 pm »

I love all the new stuff added in the 40.whatever releases, but now invaders never seem to come and play anymore. This makes me sad, and as such I simply can't enjoy any of my new forts and have gone back to the old masterwork versions. Does anyone know of any good updated mods or such that will make my game violent and fun again? Or something like the old DFHack invasion-now command that simply summoned some gobbos? I need more violence in my fortresses...

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Making the game fun/violent again?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:35:08 pm »

I just duplicated the entity entries for goblins (evil), elves (forest) and humans (plains) (as well as the dwarf entry, but that doesn't seem to do anything).
This way I have three seperate goblin entities around, all sending their own sieges - meaning I get quite frequent sieges, most years at least two, I'd say. Sadly they don't bring much interesting stuff though, only goblins and trolls...
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 02:54:03 pm »

Dwarven entity doesn't have the tokens to come and visit you if they're not playable.  Add:

Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]

or thereabouts. 

I tried to make wars happen in Furry Fortress by giving my civ the [BABYSNATCHER] and [THIEF] tags, but the game crashes repeatedly before any non-goblin civs show up.  Even when goblin sieges show up, they don't bring their war animals or mounts other than trolls, so those are pretty boring too.  The most Fun you can get is settling next to a Tower.  You can increase the variety of Tower minions by having a lot of creatures available as civs, for example in Furry Fortress, they will zombify fox-people, rabbit-people, centaurs, lizard-people, duck-people and lion people, plus the boring old humanoids. 

Unfortunately, the error that is hindering sieges is not somewhere that modders can touch.  Rather than go after the civs, you can try modding in more necromancer-esque threats.  You can also go check out evil biomes or try living in the bottom cavern layer, or mod in more threats for those areas. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:23:40 pm »

There's always reanimating evil biomes.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:19:46 pm »

Dwarven entity doesn't have the tokens to come and visit you if they're not playable.  Add:

Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]
Oh. Ok...well, does that still work after world gen and embarking? I doubt it.

Aaaaaand...I totally forgot:
For ultimative FUN embark near a tower. I had a 20+-corpse siege arrive within the first 3 or 4 months last time I tried to play there...Though imo that's just ridiculous. Especially since another one arrived at the start of the next year, pretty much still barely within the first year of the fortress...

I wish I could find a non-reanimating evil biome for an embark...I already got a new embark location chosen for the next fortress - it is half evil and half "usual/normal" stuff, with few trees and so on. But I haven't checked whether the evil biome does reanimate or not. First thing I'd have to do is finally retire Violentlash...but the old place still offers new things to do every time I find myself getting bored with it, even after it has run for 38 years...
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:59:08 pm »

Just going to say that we should be hopeful that Toady has improved this. He discovered a bug in army pathfinding that reduced siege frequencies throughout 0.40. He said he thinks there will be more sieges in the next release as a result.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 05:11:09 pm »

You could check out the Fortress Defense Mod. The creator just updated it today with a bunch of raw edits aimed at boosting siege frequency and is looking for feedback.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod