Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World generation: Civ, Pop, & Site caps  (Read 1998 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
World generation: Civ, Pop, & Site caps
« on: July 26, 2015, 03:58:09 pm »

What do you guys set these to? I always think the civilizations are far too dense & numerous-- would prefer larger & less-frequent settlements, (& fewer civs to keep track of).
Do the settings in the title actually do that, & are there side-effects?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World generation: Civ, Pop, & Site caps
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:23:50 pm »

I put one civ to each, to do some sort of adam and eve sort of thing, where some group magically appear on map and the rest of beings at the end of the generation will all come from this single group.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »

Wait, so you only have one civ per world? What about pop/site cap?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:49:15 pm »

Nope, just one civ at the start of the game, not during the entire history of the map

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:03 am »

I usually set site count to low or very low, because of dorf mode convenience and to avoid free water and food being everywhere in adventure mode.

I set civs to low to help take care of the site issue as well. I learned that 'very low' civ levels tend to leave out an entire race from the world.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 01:07:11 pm »

You have to be careful of the balance of power in the world, or either the monsters will win or the civs will win, leading to a world that is not all that interesting. It's a balancing act until the game starts.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar