Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New here. Really impressed so far!  (Read 1128 times)

mavric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New here. Really impressed so far!
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:59:35 pm »

I have to say that after messing around with Dwarf Fortress after some wiki skimming and YouTube videos, I think this is the game I have been chasing for a long time. I come from a long background of running and playing MUDs so the terminal-esque ASCII and obtuse UI is all too familiar. Really awesome that complex, brain-stretching strategy games like this are still being created and maintained.

Glad to be a part of the community and hope to share some awesome embark stories. Cheers!

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New here. Really impressed so far!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:29:30 pm »

Welcome to Bay12 and Dwarf Fortress! We all hope you enjoy your stay.  :)

You're going to love the game then. The first time playing is always the hardest, or maybe it's the second. Anyways, you'll learn many things as you play the game. You might want to check out the DF wiki for more info on how to first start your fort. (Sorry can't link it because I'm on mobile.) Also, remember. Losing is !!FUN!!.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:36:30 pm »

First lesson: apparently military is a necessary feature. During one of the few times I played DF, my fortress's population got cut in half by one werebear. Then things got worse.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

mavric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:01:10 pm »

First lesson: apparently military is a necessary feature. During one of the few times I played DF, my fortress's population got cut in half by one werebear. Then things got worse.

You know, after reading some other stories, it appears that huge beasts are the main culprit of sending players into early retirement. Thanks for the advice.

The main thing I am struggling with so far is finding tutorials that can give me all the basics without using a ton of other plugins. Sure, I will eventually use them but for now I am just interested in learning the vanilla DF. If anybody has any good ones bookmarked, please do share.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 02:37:13 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:27:03 pm »

My advice to you is have the wiki open at all times.  if you don't know about some aspect of something look it up there.  Even if you do know you should probably look it up anyway.  I learned everything I know from the wiki
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness