Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gender trumps results. Who has it worse?  (Read 1878 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Gender trumps results. Who has it worse?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 11:14:27 am »

I interpreted that same statement as being far more society screwing over the girl.
I don't doubt that the bright kids' talents are being unjustly ignored in LB's hypothetical scenario, but I strongly object to the very notion that girls are "lavished with attention and compliments" because of their gender – that's exactly arse-backwards in contrast to how things actually are, unless of course you are specifically referring to pretty girls, in which case we are primarily dealing with looksism instead of sexism.

As far as I know, the classical model of sexism in a school environment goes something like this (with added exaggeration):

a) If you're a boy and your art project is shit, that's okay because art is for faggots anyway and you got lots of other talents and boys will be boys, haha.

b) If you're a boy and your art project is great, you're obviously a genius because male achievement is always a sign of innate talent and genetic superiority.

c) If you're a girl and your art project is shit, well, that just proves that girls are generally shit at everything and there's nothing you can do about it.

d) If you're a girl and your art project is great, that's because you're an over-achiever and you worked really hard to get where you should've already been without the gender handicap.

Are people seriously suggesting that this view is outdated and there's been a complete role-reversal between the genders without anyone noticing? I call bullshit because it is bullshit.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 12:43:33 pm »

The art world has it worst, because people who make bad art are lavished with praise, while great artists are ignored.
Just shitposting. Please continue.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 12:48:50 pm »

Wait, since when did the lower forums become a subreddit?

I'm going to fetch the fedora closet.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 03:39:29 pm »

I don't feel like thinking through the situation in the OP right now, but all the fedora jokes are getting on my nerves. There's nothing sexist in the OP, and probably nowhere in the whole thread. This appears to be one of the rare examples of a truly neutral approach to sexism, and pissing all over it just reinforces the stereotypes that keep MRA's going strong.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 03:44:13 pm »

Sounds pretty bad for all of them honestly.

I mean even the guy who does no effort but is treated as "to be expected" really cannot be too well off. I mean... what incentive is there for him to try? What incentive is there to try as a woman or man in this?

You are either a man and your efforts are considered tawdry at best, because who cares about men they do whatever the heck they want... or you are a woman and your basically a child who needs positive reinforcement or else you won't bloom like the flower you are.

I'll say they are all equally as bad off.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 04:02:57 pm »

Personally, I think they all got what they deserved for expecting to find impartial art critics at a radfem convention.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 04:14:06 pm »

No one gives a shit because they're artists

Depends on the artist really. I must admit it was just last week that I admired superb paintings of Jesus's divine nipple.

But to answer the OP more helpfully;

Debbie invests a great deal of time and effort into the project, and her results are pleasing and impressive.  She is lavished with attention and compliments because she's a girl. Nobody cares about her project.
Debbie has it best, the attention she gets is most exploitable and networking will allow her to vault her art up on its attention and her own praise. Lots of attention and praise begets more attention, and inevitably since her art is both pleasing and impressive this will only do well for her art portfolio gaining some serious traction.

Bob invests a great deal of time and effort into the project, and his results are pleasing and impressive. But nobody cares, because he's a guy so so what?
Bob has it next best, because although nobody else cares, he can rest easy in his own accomplishment - he knows he did well. If he isn't happy he can pull a Van Gogh and chances are his art will be picked up by critics post-death as masterpieces, and if he is happy he can go on making art anyways and try to earn reputation by merit - which he can, because his results are pleasing and impressive.

Christina spends five minutes slapping something hastily together. The result is ugly. She is lavished with attention and compliments because she's a girl. Nobody cares about her project.
Christina doesn't really seem to care about the art in the first place and still gets compliments and attention, sounds like she's doing fine.

Adam spends five minutes slapping something hastily together. The result is ugly. But nobody cares, because he's a guy so so what?
Adam is going to become an unambitious sod with no social capital, skill or accomplishment. Has it worst short, mid and long term.

It's funny, because just a week ago before I admired Jesus nipple paintings (I am severely understating just how good the art was), I was in the same carriage as this one guy who gave his life story to everyone in the carriage and started showing off his artwork. He had a stack of canvasses and showed them first one side of the carriage, then to the other. Some of it was really freaking awesome. Still don't know who that guy was nor do I remember any of his artwork though, only that one of the abstract cityscapes was gorgeous.
Pages: 1 [2]