Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jewelers....  (Read 1123 times)

Zombiecow99

• Bay Watcher
  • ENEMIES! We Need Enemies
    • View Profile
jewelers....
« on: July 18, 2015, 12:17:27 pm »

I built two iron statues and and was gonna encrust them with rubies ans saphires so i put them in a stockpile next to my jewelers workshop set the order to encrust....then my jeweler runs away grabs a llama wool bag and encrusts it with rubies and saphires. :-[

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: jewelers....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 01:37:21 pm »

Yep. :/

Proximity only helps. If you want to force something, you'd have to lock it in the same room w/ the workshop, so it's the only choice.

Or, use the DFHack utility (one of the ones loaded by default) to choose the material/target item for use - [alt + a] while the work order is highlighted in the workshop menu.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 03:36:31 pm »

You can also set up piles which give to the workshop and only accept furniture of the types you are trying to encrust... select "Type" as only statues, and "Metal" "Iron" as the only substance.  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:31:51 pm »

I had a really nice axe and sword pair I wanted to have gems applied to, for my adventurer, so I ordered the encrusting of weapons with my star sapphire and star ruby... Yeah, by encruster grabbed a copper short sword from a dead goblin instead. Same happens with leather hilt wrapping. And I find the whole lock them in the room thing a bit tedious. I kind of wish an option to encrust individual items from a list was a thing.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 08:25:46 am »

Linked stockpiles are exactly what you want. You can be very specific about what you want them to encrust. For instance, my master jeweler's workshop takes from a gem stockpile (obviously) and a stockpile that accepts only masterpiece furniture and finished goods, whereas my apprentice jeweler's takes instead from a stockpile that accepts only sub-masterpiece bone crafts and bone bolts.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:56:58 am »

Linked stockpiles are exactly what you want.
This. For me, this was a really big feature when it came out, but there wasn't much fanfare for it. There is no excuse anymore for decorating the wrong item.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:11 am »

Mechanixm does a fantastic job explaining exactly what you are trying to accomplish here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2n9p3u/mechanixms_guide_to_better_stockpiling_part_3/
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.