Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF stories  (Read 1464 times)

PCwarlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF stories
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:02:05 am »

Hi, a few months ago I finished reading the incredible tale of boatmurdered and yesterday I saw the tale of bronzemurdered after reading both I was wondering if what happened in the stories did actually happen in game ( all of it ) or some parts are just created for dramatic purposes ?

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
Re: DF stories
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:48:45 am »

It all happened, I believe. I think there are a few community forts running around with side-lore, like journal entries from folk who have been dwarfed but aren't playing. 'Notes of a soapmaker', etc. That's probably mostly dramatic, but based in game. Depends on who's writing.

PCwarlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:42:55 am »

damn if itīs like you say and everything actually happened in game than the things that could happen in this game are far beyond my imagination... this game never ceases to amaze me :p

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:38:51 am »

There is usually some level of embellishment in game stories, especially when it comes to mentions of what motivates a game piece to its actions. Now, in Dwarf Fortress, there are more motivating forces than in many other games, but they aren't always visible. It's been a long while since I read Boatmurdered, but I believe that there were some little embellishments there, but no big ones as far as I remember. If I'm thinking of the right story with Bronzemurder, I believe that's mostly faithful.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PCwarlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:47:01 am »

well if you have the time you can read bronzemurder here : http://bronzemurder.timdenee.com/ and btw what do you mean by faithful ?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 11:51:59 am »

I mean that it doesn't invent details that didn't happen in the game but sound plausible to someone who is reading the story (and yes, that is the story I was thinking it was).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PCwarlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 11:54:00 am »

ok thx but since you know the story do you know if the monster portrayed in it has appeared in other peoples fortresses ?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 12:35:59 pm »

It's a forgotten beast, so no: FBs are randomly generated per world, so each world will have different ones. Of course, any number of similar FBs may appear, and many that are even worse, such as those made out of stone or metal.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

PCwarlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 05:58:43 pm »

ok awesome thank you all for your help, happy "fortressing" !