Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm being spam called.  (Read 1708 times)

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
I'm being spam called.
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:35:00 am »

An old friend of mine turned against me a while back and has decided to harass me with a number of anonymous bot calling websites. I eventually confronted him and asked him seriously and politely to stop, but I am still receiving a lot of spam calls from random numbers listed as spam upon lookup in a number tracer. I really don't want to go through the trouble of switching numbers unless strictly necessary and I would prefer filing a report on the matter. Thoughts?
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: I'm being spam called.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:58:55 am »

An old friend of mine turned against me a while back and has decided to harass me with a number of anonymous bot calling websites. I eventually confronted him and asked him seriously and politely to stop, but I am still receiving a lot of spam calls from random numbers listed as spam upon lookup in a number tracer. I really don't want to go through the trouble of switching numbers unless strictly necessary and I would prefer filing a report on the matter. Thoughts?

This sounds like something you can report to the police if this person was dumb enough to admit to what they're doing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:35:14 pm »

You should call your phone service provider.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 02:24:59 pm »

Oh no. Have fun at their expense. Eg, three-way call combine one telemarketer's call with another. Introduce the new person as someone interested in their offer.

Enjoy the hilarity.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 02:13:42 am »

1) File a police report. If this person is willing to do this to you, they may be willing to do more to you.  The sooner you get the police involved, the sooner they go to jail.

2) I don't now what phone you have, but try adding everyone on your contacts list to one group and setting your phone to only ring for that group. This strategy has worked for me in the past.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 02:44:21 am »

At times like these, you'd wish for phonelines to be high voltage, so you could make fried SPAM.

But yeah, you could report it to the police.

Maybe you have something over where you live like we have here as well. We call it the 'don't-call-me register'. It's a central registration that, if you choose to register, will forbid any provider within their jurisdiction from allowing commercial solliciting calls through. It works pretty well. Not sure if it works against bot networks that keep changing numbers though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 03:23:57 am »

In the US the no call list is enforced by the caller, not the phone company (which means bot nets are free to ignore it). You can push charges after a month on the list if they aren't civil about leaving you alone IIRC, but that isn't very helpful against bot nets by much.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 10:59:07 pm »

I asked him more firmly to stop, and I doubt he'll be calling me any more.

If, however, he's stupid enough to keep it up then I will notify the police without hesitation.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 11:05:28 am »

Yikes :x
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 05:27:33 pm »

I took over someones number and got mass spam calls. No idea who the person was, but I think it was a she and I got spammed by all her friends and family. Amongst all the actual spam bot calls.

Are you being called on a smart phone? At least on the Google side of things, there are apps that let you block spam calls. This has cut the spam calls by 95% I'd say. I barely get any now, and any time I do I just add it to a block number. Sometimes they still get through though, but very rarely. Just need to find a good app that blocks it. I personally use Truecaller, which I find to work really well. I was using Calls Blacklist by Vlad Lee, but it didn't work that great at blocking calls. You are limited to how many you can block as well if you don't pay for it.

I'm sure Apple has ways to prevent spam calling too.

The biggest problem a lot of phone blocking apps have, is they just take the call to voicemail and that is just as annoying as being call spammed. But there are apps (like Calls Blacklist and Truecaller) that actually prevent the call from even going to voicemail. Still once in a while gets through though.

Assuming you are on a smart phone of course.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:31:22 pm by Kazagarth »