Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A real-time job/thoughts monitor?  (Read 647 times)

AstralDusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A real-time job/thoughts monitor?
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:25:25 am »

I've been pondering my options for starting up a fort where I keep more intimate watch over my starting seven. Usually I'll give unique names or jobs to help keep an eye on dwarves that I'm attached to, but I keep thinking how nice it would be to just look over to a separate window and see what ol' Bembul's doing (at another party, huh? Pleased with a fine statue? Damn right you're ecstatic. Good on ya, Bembul. )

I can access all that info in Dwarf Therapist, of course, but it does require actively refreshing and browsing, a little less streamlined than I'd like.

Does anyone know of an existing feature like or similar to what I'm talking about here: a real-time unit list and/or thoughts monitor? Or have any thoughts on implementing such? I'm wondering if it's something worth trying my amateur cheesemakin' hand at if it's not out there somewhere.

Thanks for any info!

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A real-time job/thoughts monitor?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:55:55 am »

I'm intrested in this point too.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 12:03:49 pm »

Press u and look for the dwarf on the units list, to the right it shows that they're doing.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

AstralDusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:50:48 pm »

That's actually part of what I'm looking to eliminate, constantly popping into the 'u' menu or digging down into their thoughts and preferences.

The end goal, I guess, would be to better humanize (or dwarfize?) particular dwarves and watch said dwarves more closely. The rest of the chaff can be their regular faceless horde that I check on in the menus once in a blue moon, but these dwarves are the ones I see right away are building a wall and are super disgusted by the pile of goblin corpses along the way; and of course they were force to socialize with their grudge when all they wanted was to drown away the gory sights that have been bored into their brain, and ugh maybe they should just sleep, but holy crap that was a fantastically crafted door they just passed, seeing that door really made the whole day worth it.
 It's ideally a more granular way to storycraft. Though I imagine watching a larger amount of dwarves ought to be an option.