Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging Holes  (Read 5039 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Digging Holes
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:13:56 pm »

Ever since the .40 update, climbing has made things somewhat more difficult for those of us who like to dig straight holes from Point A on z-1 to Point B on z-50. Aqueducts and deadfalls of various kinds pretty much require these kinds of holes sooner or later, and nowadays dwarf miners won't just channel straight down like they used to. Instead, they dig down 2-3 levels and then cancel the job and climb out of the hole.

I've discovered a solution, which I posted in the Trivial findings thread. TheFlame52 mentioned that this was not really that trivial so I decided to make a thread about it (with some adaptations).

Multiple Solutions
All of them start with stairs. Dwarves will dig vertical stairs in place just fine, and this grants access to every point along the downward route as a side benefit.

Step 1: Dig A Vertical Staircase
Simple as that. In the slot where you'd dig the first channeled square before, instead designate a down stair, then designate up/down stairs below as far down as you need to go. On the last one, it's best to designate an up stair.

Step 2: Channel It Out
This is where it starts becoming optional.

Step 2a: From The Top
Find a good way to restrict only one miner to work on the staircase. Locked doors would help; burrow restrictions are ideal but a tad more messy. Designate channeling on the top downstair at priority 1; on the next level down at priority 2; then the rest at 3 or lower. The dwarf will dig the top few levels in order and then just keep going on downwards because he has nothing else to do and nowhere else to go. If you want to make absolutely certain he doesn't get himself stuck by channeling things in the wrong order, use the priority system to designate channeling seven squares at a time (priority 1-7, top to bottom). Designate the last tile (the upstair at the bottom) as stair-remove, let the dwarf out at the bottom end, and you've got an empty shaft just like mother used to make.

Step 2b: From The Bottom
In some cases you may not have/want access to the bottom layer. Things get annoying here, since you have to manually channel one square at a time from the bottom up. The upstair at the bottom level needs to be stair-remove-designated first; then channel each step up successively. The only reason this works is because dwarves can dig squares above and below them if they have proper access to each. It's a pain in the beard to get every single tile done this way, and the priority system doesn't work very well because dwarves might end up channeling out a square they're standing in, which leads to deadly falls. All the same, do it right and you'll have a lovely empty shaft.

Step 2c: Don't
A staircase will, in fact, carry liquid just as well as an empty shaft, and you also get the benefit of maintaining access. However, sometimes it can make a lot more sense to keep your dwarves out of the shaft; or maybe you're flinging captured invaders down the hole and you don't want any stairs in the way for them to grab hold of. In that case, use 2a or 2b above, as necessary. Otherwise, consider leaving the stairs there. You might thank me later.

Step 3: ??
(Open the floodgates.)

Step 4: Profit!!!
Enjoy your shaft and the lovely liquid/soon-to-be-corpses flowing through it.

If you already knew all this, that's fine. Sorry for wasting your time. If you didn't, hey, great. Leave a comment saying it helped or something. Thanks for reading.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Digging Holes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:39:01 pm »

I'm sure this will help some (never apologize for helping the random noob), and I share your frustration at the change in shaft-mining.

From the community, thanks! (or something...) ;)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:47:52 pm »

This has helped a lot! I've been doing this in my fort recently (You.... Don't want to know my current method....), and this makes a lot of sense. If only I weren't already 3/4 finished my surface-to-magma-sea-dump-shaft. D: Next time, armed with this information, it'll be a lot better lol.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:41:39 am »

You can get dwarves to channel out the tile they are standing on?
I thought the only way to get a 1 tile vertical shaft was to carve staircases and then remove them.
Interesting.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:26:41 am »

You can get dwarves to channel out the tile they are standing on?
I thought the only way to get a 1 tile vertical shaft was to carve staircases and then remove them.
Interesting.

Well, they will do that, but as described above they will stop after 2-3 vertical levels and climb out of the hole.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »

What if you designate the verticle shaft as a burrow, and use a civilian alert to force the dwarf into it?  Does he dig all the way down then?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:02 pm »

I always use a cavein to clear my shafts, but I think that won't work with up/down stairs (I always use floors with a parallel staircase, a 3x3 shaft stops dropped creatures from grabbing the sides)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 04:20:49 pm »

I always use a cavein to clear my shafts, but I think that won't work with up/down stairs (I always use floors with a parallel staircase, a 3x3 shaft stops dropped creatures from grabbing the sides)

No, that would also work with up/down stairs.

What if you designate the verticle shaft as a burrow, and use a civilian alert to force the dwarf into it?  Does he dig all the way down then?

The cancellation is normally due to 'dangerous terrain', whatever that means, and I'm pretty sure burrowing wouldn't solve it. I may be wrong. I should do more testing.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 10:22:29 am »

No, that would also work with up/down stairs.

No, it doesn't. A cave-in will stop when it encounters an up or up/down stair tile; it won't "punch through" like it would a floor or down stair tile.

You can cave-in the up/down stair tiles, though, and they'll just disappear. For a 3x3 pit or larger, you can designate a core of up/down stairs, channel the periphery, then cave-in the core for a nice clean pit.