Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No realtionships, No kids?  (Read 921 times)

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No realtionships, No kids?
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:17:39 pm »

I'm playing with the all Races playable mods from a few months back. I've got a human fortress that's going great, a few years in and no major hiccups. However scrolling through the unit screen and checking things out I've noticed that no one in the fort is married to or in a relationship to well anyone. There are also no children being born nor immigrating in.

Could this be an issue with the mod or something else?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No realtionships, No kids?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:40:14 am »

It certainly could be an issue with the mod, but in the current version, getting your dwarves (and presumably humans as well) to form relationships during gameplay has proven to be much harder than in previous versions.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:51:18 am »

Huh, any tips to speed it up? I was surprised that no kids were coming as migrants either.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:45 am »

The trick to getting marriages and kids envolves two things. One, give them a small meeting area so they have to socialize. Two, make sure they have ample time to socialize. I have a five year that is only now seeing relationships, but I have a huge dining hall and keep them pretty busy. When I actually force socialization I get relationships by year two at the latest.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 12:20:13 pm »

Huh I'm at year two but my dining hall is a little small for the 70 odd folks there, besides that the bastards are idle half the time anyway. Thinking about it I tweaked the adult to child ration on the LNP, I wonder if that could be playing a role?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:17:32 pm »

You are correct in the sense that no relationships = no marriage = no kids

I don't think its an issue with the mod, cause in my experience the lack of marriages and kids being born is pretty prevalent in vanilla. You can try the method outlined in the link below to induce marriages and within fort births. It works for me. Not sure if it will work with other races though.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:16:59 pm »

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 03:36:10 pm »

Finally had the first relationship and soon after for the fort. This is the third year in. The son of a militia captain and a doctor, he is mighty, incredibly tough, and rarely sick. He also has great analytical abilities and a good feel for social relationships.

Heh, this one might actually turn out useful!