Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Fortress, water sources frozen.  (Read 932 times)

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Fortress, water sources frozen.
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:14:09 am »

So I'm playing with the recent mods that makes any race playable. Taking a crack at an above ground human fortress, so far things are going pretty well if slowly due to construction time. However my water sources just iced over and I haven't a clue what to do about it.

I've started brewing some liquor for them, will they survive on that until spring? Is there a way to keep the sources(a stream) from freezing?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fortress, water sources frozen.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:50:37 am »

They can live on liquor indefinitely with no negative effects (though that won't be true of the next release) so you don't need to worry about that. The best way to keep a water source from freezing is to dig a reservoir underground with a (covered!) well drawing from it, but elaborate heating systems involving magma 1z down are also possible if I remember right.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:00:50 pm »

Well I dug a reservoir underground which is sourced from the river on the map. When it iced over for the year a single spot in reservoir directly under the well along with the water in the well froze. My actual well seems to have blown up or something as it's construction pieces are scattered around the area.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong?

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 06:15:00 pm »

when the well freezes over...

Iirc, once a tile has been exposed to the sky it gets flagged as outside, and then water under it will freeze.  Even if you build a gigantic keep over it. If there is a well there when the freeze happens, it will get destroyed.

You can make an underground well room with a reservoir under that for when the cold comes.

If you want to keep to the above ground human aesthetic, you could build a floor atop your 1z level down well room and then build walls to support the floor and then *perhaps* if you channel out around the room it won't be flagged as outside.

When I play human fortress I try to build a large underground store room for my well and some food.