Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raising attributes  (Read 910 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Raising attributes
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:25:33 pm »

So... how exactly does this work? I've looked it up and some sites say raising certain skills adds to certain attributes, while others say it's random which one is leveled up when you raise a skill to a certain degree. Like, it seems as though there's -some- correlation, but I managed to raise my memory up a level, and from the DF wiki I can't see any skill associated with memory that's available in Adventurer Mode. I could just be missing something obvious but I don't think so
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Raising attributes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:54:08 pm »

It's based on time spent doing certain actions. In this way it's related to skill gain, but different actions can train attributes and skills at completely separate rates.

See: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Attribute#Attributes_trained_by_skills
Recuperation, for instance, can be trained by wound healing, which has no associated skill. No idea what would have increased your memory. (Maybe he downloaded more RAM? ;))
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:00:50 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:03:51 pm »

It's based on time spent doing certain actions. In this way it's related to skill gain, but different actions can train attributes and skills at completely separate rates.

See: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Attribute#Attributes_trained_by_skills
Recuperation, for instance, can be trained by wound healing, which has no associated skill. No idea what would have increased your memory. (Maybe he downloaded more RAM? ;))

Ah okay, thank you. I have no idea what increased it either. It was below average at the start and it got raised to average. Wish I knew what did it, lol.
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:19:25 pm »

Memory determines how much of the local area you can remember, so exploring might improve it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:45:20 pm »

Random attribute gains was in older (pre-.31) versions, before the new attributes system. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare