Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Of Kings And Men - Now in open Alpha/EA  (Read 5185 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of Kings And Men
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 10:13:19 pm »

Important announcement:
Quote from: Chadz
To get ready for Early Access and Gamescom, we are starting the beta test tomorrow, Monday, at 8pm UK Time, for a few days.

It will allow you to give the game a longer try, and will tell us how certain game mechanics work out, how we need to adjust progression, what servers we need to bring up in what locations, and what bugs there are left to squash.

Progression will be stored until EA release, then wiped.

We will initially host servers in West EU, West NA, East NA - if we see a lot of demand in other regions where we can host servers, we will bring up additional ones, if possible. Some Locations (eg Oceanic Servers) are tricky I'm afraid, we are aware that there is a demand for it, but it will take a bit to figure out, and they won't be ready at EA release. But we'll get to that part.

Gamescom
Starting Wednesday, 8am UK Time, we're showing the game to journalists! I know the time is not great ;), but if you want to end up in gaming magazine footage, try and be there. We'll play incognito because some of you will think it's funny to teamkill a journalist :), but don't worry about if you're on the right server, we'll funnel you there.

Especially important is Thursday, 9:30 to 11:30 UK Time - we are having a live interview there, and it's possibly the largest one we're having. I don't want to spoil too much at this point, but it would be great if you could be there, and bring friends, we want to show scale

Where to download? Those who have already have steam keys can use those (GMG will send out the keys on the 25th, though), for everyone else, get the launcher as usual:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30551702/OKAMLauncher/OKAMLauncher.exe
User: crpg
Password: crpg
You do not need to buy the game to participate in this test!
You are allowed and encouraged to share it with your friends!

Changing name is currently not possible, it will use your windows user name as the player name. Sorry if that's in convenient.

If anybody wants to try the game for themselves before the actual Early Access period begins this is a great opportunity. Obviously the game isn't very polished but you can get a feel for how the combat is going to work first-hand.

I'm excited because it'll be my first opportunity to play on a server with actual people.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of Kings And Men - Open Beta test this week!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 01:32:10 pm »

Looks like they started the test early, you can try it now for yourself.

There's not much to it, but you do get to experience what they're doing with the combat, and there's even a bit of progression with your gear. It's not quite as freeform as with cRPG but I assume it's just placeholder stuff for now.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »

Thanks for the heads up, Ozy!

Didn't get a chance to download the client last night, but will try tonight and see how things are shaping up! Picked up the EA in either case, so I'll see y'all on the battlefield sooner or later :)

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 07:31:55 am »

Is this multiplayer only?

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 09:41:42 am »

Is this multiplayer only?
Planned, yes. It's because they want it to have a community, like Wurm I guess.

Krewl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 05:59:38 pm »

Played alot since beta got released, loving the combat, especielly the last days when the lag has been reduced.

Anyone else playing, atm my ING is Kristoffer.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 11:42:36 pm »

I played for a bit but got distracted. I'm waiting for the early access or whatever they;'re doing when characters will be wiped.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:26 am »

Ptw

Pretty bold of a modding team to put something like this together and try to compete directly with bannerlord.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 08:12:03 pm »

Is it actually a M&B mod?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of Kings And Men - Now in open Alpha/EA
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:43 pm »

This not not a modification for any game. This was created from the ground up using their own in-house engine. They did create a popular mod for M&B:W called cRPG. THis is basically the spiritual successor to that, only as a full-fledged game. It's basically a story of mod dev turned game dev.

The game is now out in Early Access. I updated the OP to tidy it up a bit and made some minor text fixes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 04:27:24 pm »

Anyone played it?  If the engine is good and the mechanics have carried over well, I'd be interested.  Although maybe not at the full $25.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 12:57:25 am »

Anyone played it?  If the engine is good and the mechanics have carried over well, I'd be interested.  Although maybe not at the full $25.
I've only really played some melee in the free thing they posted before, but...

It's basically M&B:W combat, except with more than 4 attack directions, different blocking and feinting mechanics. After pressing and holding the attack button, you can still change your attack direction. Blocking is both directional and non-holdable. There's also a kinda quick pommel attack that ignores blocks and seems to just work like a shorter range kick (which is also there). If you manage to block with a weapon, you get an automatic counter (that can be blocked as well), but the problem I'm noticing is there's not a whole lot of penalty or difficulty to feinting, making it seem a lot more difficult and actually kinda random to block anything due to how you have a significant delay between block attempts.

Maybe this'd be more up my alley if I duelled in Warband's multiplayer, got good at that and was looking for something requiring more skill? Personally I'd rather just wait for Bannerlord.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 01:26:56 am »

Being able to change block direction while holding LMB is toggleable. In M&B:W I usually fought by holding LMB, which chamber attacks, then right clicking to block or change attack directions, so it's fairly intuitive. Not having it as a toggle works pretty well too, just make sure to set the deadzone to a reasonable setting.

Maybe this'd be more up my alley if I duelled in Warband's multiplayer, got good at that and was looking for something requiring more skill? Personally I'd rather just wait for Bannerlord.
Yes, the cRPG community is definitely much higher skill level at this sort of thing. They've been doing this for several years, after all. I myself kinda did it for a year straight and I only consider myself adequate. I much prefer gamemodes with respawning and multiple people fighting over the duel type gamemodes though.
Pages: 1 [2]