Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super trading race? What do you think?  (Read 866 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Super trading race? What do you think?
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:01:02 pm »

I've been thinking of making some weird, weak race, but one that is perfect for trading with: uses cave animals, exotic animals, has access to all the metals dwarves have, can come in multiple landscapes, maybe even comes with a few metals that I could make that Dwarves normally don't get. Controllable in adventure mode, not fort mode. Smaller than dwarves. Weapons include scimitar, blowguns, morningstar, mace, spear, a weaker axe I'll make, and knives. Their currency would go: copper 1, bronze 5, iron 10, steel 15, and some metal only they have 30. They wouldn't have breastplates, greaves, high boots, shields, or helmets. They'd have chain mail shirts, leggings, low boots, bucklers, and caps instead of those.

Question: If I give them a reaction for some better silk made from cave spider silk at the loom, would they trade it and use it?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
Re: Super trading race? What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:19:53 pm »

Not 100% sure on this, but I'd assume so. From my little experience trading with other races in Dwarf Fortress, they tend to come with items that their race can use. I assume the items they actually come with the first time you meet them are randomized, but if they meet with your liaison/who ever is in charge then you can kind of direct what you want to trade with them in the same way you can with the Mountainhomes caravan that you meet first. At least, I think it works that way.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 11:08:40 pm »

Yeah, it'd make sense for them to have a liaison style person.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 10:25:50 am »

They should be able to trade anything they can produce with an explicit reaction, even if they don't have the reagents, and they will make things out of reaction-born materials.  This is why a Moutainhome without iron can still kit out its embark parties with steel anvils.

So if you give them an improved thread reaction, they will trade stuff made from that thread.  And they'll also come by with the basic thread as well if they legitimately have access to the spiders.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 12:43:45 pm »

Yay.