Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant civilization  (Read 875 times)

wiffle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Plant civilization
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:08:04 am »

Pretty new to the whole modding practice but based on what I've been reading it seems like a plant-based civilization could be really interesting to develop even if it would require some workarounds.  Before I get too far into it though, I just wanted to clarify if (maybe also how!) it is possible to:

- Create graphically different castes if that was also attached to different professions?
- Invert minerals to maybe make minerals more of a food source for these guys
- Grow construction materials through farming

Anyway, it seems like a labour-heavy project but I just like the idea of a semi-magical nature race that grows different wood/sap lifeforms that are specialized for different tasks.  Let me know if you have any suggestions or could help me troubleshoot it!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Plant civilization
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:23:30 pm »

1: Impossible.
2: Reactions at a workshop could make this possible.
3: Reactions at a... Just read above.
4: I'd suggest getting rid of jobs like fisher and stuff, so their only source of food would be gathering or the mineral growth. Maybe have them grow and look like green ores, then be developed at a workshop into food.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Plant civilization
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:30:41 pm »

Some suggestions:
Alchemy be an important skill for them.
Have them grow a plant that can be made into weapons like bows and whips.
Have them grow a plant that is a sort of super hard wood, that can be made into blunt weapons.
Have their armour all be new: same stats, but new names and materials. Like, Branch Plates, Upper Trunk Plates, Root Guards, Lower Trunk Guards, Leaf Covers, stuff like that.
Have different castes have different movement speeds.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.