Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building Destroyers - orthogonal destruction  (Read 1172 times)

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building Destroyers - orthogonal destruction
« on: June 10, 2015, 02:22:13 pm »

I'm trying to fix a mistake.  Can a building destroyer coming in from the East destroy this vertical bar?  Will water flow through?

▓▓▓
77‼▓▓▓
▓▓▓777
  ▓▓▓▓

(Top Down View)

Edited for formatting.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:55:02 pm by AlBravo »
Ancient Avatar

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building Destroyers - orthogonal destruction
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 04:40:08 pm »

- If there is any other path that allows it to get to the west side, I think the answer is yes, but if access from the west is blocked the answer ought to be no.
- Water can flow diagonally (although slower) unless it's an aquifer. I don't know what effect grates would have, but would expect them not to block diagonal flow.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:31:18 pm »

Water will definitely flow through, though any water pressure will be lost. I'm not sure if a diagonal on the same Z-level provides any protection at all from building destroyers though. It's certainly not a method for defeating them that I've seen advocated in the past.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:18:30 am »

The bars should block the water when closed. They won't stop building destroyers under any circumstances.

I don't know what effect grates would have, but would expect them not to block diagonal flow.
Bars, not grates. (Assuming that wasn't part of his edit.) Grates are exactly the same as bars.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:47:02 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:24:12 am »

Bars most certainly allow liquids to pass, even when closed.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:48:09 am »

Bars most certainly allow liquids to pass, even when closed.
Whoops. Yeah, they function identically to grates, not floodgates. My bad.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:18:06 am »

They won't stop building destroyers under any circumstances.

From the wiki page on Building destroyer: "They can only destroy things orthogonally."

Since these vertical bars can't be accessed orthogonally will this design prevent building destroyers passage while allowing water through?  Sounds like I'm just going to have to test it.
Ancient Avatar

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 10:12:48 am »

If you aren't interested in pressure, than you can block the west-access problem...

Code: [Select]
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓‼777‼▓▓▓
7▓▓▓▓▓777

The idea is that west access to the eastern most set of bars is blocked by the western most bars. To destroy the western bars, it needs eastern access blocked by the eastern most bars.

Edit:
I have seen people surprised about diagonally indestructible doors on the same Z-level. It being the same Z-level should make no difference. I've never actually done it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:15:24 am by BoredVirulence »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 01:23:00 pm »

Can't you push it one step further? I think the construct below should work...

▓▓▓▓▓
▓‼▓▓▓
7▓777

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 07:07:35 pm »

From the wiki page on Building destroyer: "They can only destroy things orthogonally."

Since these vertical bars can't be accessed orthogonally will this design prevent building destroyers passage while allowing water through? Sounds like I'm just going to have to test it.
Maybe. The mechanics are all very confusing.

I'm curious to what extent the orthogonal rule applies to other z-levels. Does a BD have to align itself orthogonally on a different z-level, or is being able to path to an orthogonal space two tiles away on the target's z-level enough? Can they attack through walls if the other conditions are met? Why is diagram 3 on the wiki always vulnerable when you can't stand directly above ramps?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 11:48:59 pm »

Whoever wrote that is mistaken. Building destroyers do not require orthogonal access to a building, which is trivially demonstrated by installing a door in a diagonal tunnel and letting loose a forgotten beast.