Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bay12 Census -- Uninspired Coders Edition; processing  (Read 3180 times)

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
Re: Bay12 Census -- Uninspired Coders Edition
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 06:00:53 pm »

Yeah, I mentioned it in the other thread too. Also, there are 0 ways Spanish could be more widely spoken than English, I smell a rat.

edit: yup, OtherWiki backs me up on this. English is both more widely spread as primary language, and  a lot  more widely spread as a second language.

The introduction specifies: "However, particularly because of large uncertainties in estimating the number of secondary speakers, all such lists should be used with caution. In particular, the lists below should be seen as tentative." In the list of native language speakers, Spanish ranks higher. Not only that but the difference between English and Spanish your link shows is extremely close, so to say that it's impossible is rather credulous.
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Census -- Uninspired Coders Edition; processing
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:47 pm »

You realize your list is from 2010 (well English and Spanish data is, half the list is from 2007) and mine is from 2013?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 09:16:03 pm »

Aw, I missed this. Ah well.

I think I participated in the first one though, so y'know. Posting to watch for results.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:10 am »

5 graphs down, 19 more to go >_>

This is really hard work, I kinda regret wanting to make everything in Javascript now...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 06:47:48 pm »

You realize your list is from 2010 (well English and Spanish data is, half the list is from 2007) and mine is from 2013?
Yes, I'm aware. That doesn't detract from my point that the data isn't reliable.
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 07:36:25 pm »

Yes, I'm aware. That doesn't detract from my point that the data isn't reliable.
I don't believe you made that point, but you are now, and I'm willing to concede it. Despite my expectations (and, presumably, yours from the opposite side?) data is inconclusive enough to create reasonable doubt (and well beyond).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 04:29:19 pm »

Bump. What are the results?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 06:36:21 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:18:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 01:20:51 am »

Motivation to do things is hard :/ I've got maybe a third to a half of the graphs done but the rest ...

Maybe I'll just upload the oes I've already done first.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 04:33:07 am »

As a stop-gap measure, why not just release the raw data? Crowdsource the analysis, so to speak.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 04:43:20 am »

I would rather not, because it might be pretty easy to identify who is who with the raw data.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2015, 11:12:43 am »

Ok, how about this|: give us (me) a sample of the data (fake as you like) and I (we) will write you some JavaScript to display it. Or process it (you say you're "doing graphs", but maybe you're custom preparing data before each one?)

For the laymen in the audience, confused by my request, the data would be fake, but the data structure would match the real thing.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2015, 11:37:32 am »

Awe, no results yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3]