Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best ways to catch a vampire  (Read 1782 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
best ways to catch a vampire
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:18:34 pm »

bastard killed my hammer lord. no reports(or i missed them) no knowledge of who he was.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: best ways to catch a vampire
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:10:32 pm »

Firstly, there are the consequences of their age. Vampires tend to be high in multiple (4-5+) social, high in at least one military skill, and "great" or better in at least one domestic skill. The biggest indicator of a vampire in this versionVerify is that they will almost always have more skills (10-15+ easily) at Novice or better than any of your other dwarves. If your new Great Hunter is also a Novice Milker, Shearer, Farmer, Tanner, Carpenter, Stonecrafter, Furnace Operator, Soap Maker, Fisherdwarf, Fish Cleaner, and Fish Dissector... they're almost certainly a vampire. They also tend to have very long lists of group associations, on the order of dozens, far more than your normal dwarves. They have abnormally long lists of relations and often many, many children, but none of them are present in the fortress (in stark contrast to the spouses, children and siblings whom most dwarves will share their home with). If they are married to a dwarf that is not present in the fortress, this should be treated as especially strong evidence. Note, however, that lacking relatives within the fortress is not a good indicator of being a vampire.

In addition to the brevity of surface thoughts, if you were unfortunate enough to have a dwarf die to a vampire, the culprit will have the "took joy in slaughter lately" thought.

I suppose if you want to do it the old fashion way you could make all your dwarves use a dorm to sleep. I'd make it a meeting area as well just in case.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:20:41 pm »

Firstly, there are the consequences of their age. Vampires tend to be high in multiple (4-5+) social, high in at least one military skill, and "great" or better in at least one domestic skill. The biggest indicator of a vampire in this versionVerify is that they will almost always have more skills (10-15+ easily) at Novice or better than any of your other dwarves. If your new Great Hunter is also a Novice Milker, Shearer, Farmer, Tanner, Carpenter, Stonecrafter, Furnace Operator, Soap Maker, Fisherdwarf, Fish Cleaner, and Fish Dissector... they're almost certainly a vampire. They also tend to have very long lists of group associations, on the order of dozens, far more than your normal dwarves. They have abnormally long lists of relations and often many, many children, but none of them are present in the fortress (in stark contrast to the spouses, children and siblings whom most dwarves will share their home with). If they are married to a dwarf that is not present in the fortress, this should be treated as especially strong evidence. Note, however, that lacking relatives within the fortress is not a good indicator of being a vampire.

In addition to the brevity of surface thoughts, if you were unfortunate enough to have a dwarf die to a vampire, the culprit will have the "took joy in slaughter lately" thought.

I suppose if you want to do it the old fashion way you could make all your dwarves use a dorm to sleep. I'd make it a meeting area as well just in case.

anyway to easily check age? i couldnt find any option from the dwarf therapist. and i got 120 dorfs...so going through all of them would be a pain

edit: may have spoken too soon...my mayor apparently has 147 kills on his pelt...he is part of the military tho. and fails to meet any of the other requirements for vampire.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:23:50 pm by angelious »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:28:23 pm »

I would bet real money that it is the mayor. 90% of the time when I had a vampire it was the mayor :D

You can read the identification section in the quote link and check down the list if you want to be sure. There is even a method of using Dwarf Therapist to figure it out.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:34:15 pm »

I would bet real money that it is the mayor. 90% of the time when I had a vampire it was the mayor :D

You can read the identification section in the quote link and check down the list if you want to be sure. There is even a method of using Dwarf Therapist to figure it out.

it has to be him..unless df is glitching out.

the avg kills per person is 10. most my other dorfs have is 17.

i dont think there has even been 100 people attacking my fort!   now i need to find a way to take care of him without causing too much trouble...

EDIT: so yeah he didnt have 140 kills...he had 4000 kills. 4468 to be precise. most of them human
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:57:04 pm by angelious »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:19:59 pm »