Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Negative Wealth  (Read 1705 times)

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Negative Wealth
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:51:27 pm »

If an item had negative wealth a fort would give a trader the item and extra items worth positive wealth. When the economy is up and running this could lead to necropolises--forts that specialize in burying the dead in catacombs and/or tombs for a price.
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Negative Wealth
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:19:24 pm »

While the concept of being paid to dispose of things nobody else wants involving pay is a decent idea, I think there might be a better way of simulating that than simple negative value. 

Incidentally, the topic has come up in reverse, before.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:30:03 pm »

You seem to be implying corpses would mean negative wealth.

Fortresses generally accumulate tons of corpses over time, especially as wealth makes it an increasingly more attractive target for sieges.

Therefore. As a fortress gets more wealthy, it gets less wealthy. Wealth is inversely proportional to itself.

Although giving corpses to a caravan to discard them isn't too bad an idea.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:17:19 am »

This was probably discussed in the other topic Kohaku linked to but why can't dwarves just incinerate everything they don't want? And dwarf corpses would get coffins or at least slabs as is proper.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:24:42 am »

Caravans would be easier than individually selected each gobbo corpse for dumping... setting up a garbage dump under a bridge or over a lava pit...

Just go to "Corpses" and throw them at the caravan.
Although I'm not sure if this is possible in the vanilla game, yet. I know there's no corpse tab.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:15:19 am »

While the concept of being paid to dispose of things nobody else wants involving pay is a decent idea, I think there might be a better way of simulating that than simple negative value. 

Incidentally, the topic has come up in reverse, before.

Negative wealth would be a pretty simple way to pay a trader to take away a corpse--unless a negative value would screw up the code somewhere--without a complete overhaul.
I was thinking more of what hill-dwarves sending corpses. Yeah, player forts would just bridge smash, but AI isn't that smart. It would also add flavor to the game, a mechanic not currently in play.
I did do a search before posting--it didn't pop up on the first page. It isn't reasonable to comb through pages of search results, also the concept of negative wealth is diffeent enough from that post to deserve its own thread.

Fortresses generally accumulate tons of corpses over time, especially as wealth makes it an increasingly more attractive target for sieges.

Therefore. As a fortress gets more wealthy, it gets less wealthy. Wealth is inversely proportional to itself.

Although giving corpses to a caravan to discard them isn't too bad an idea.

You just described a feed back loop. More wealth=>more corpses=>less wealth.

When it comes to trading the trader would need to give the fort more wealth to make up for the loss of wealth due to trading corpses. A necropolis could build up wealth.

This was probably discussed in the other topic Kohaku linked to but why can't dwarves just incinerate everything they don't want? And dwarf corpses would get coffins or at least slabs as is proper.

Caravans would be easier than individually selected each gobbo corpse for dumping... setting up a garbage dump under a bridge or over a lava pit...

Just go to "Corpses" and throw them at the caravan.
Although I'm not sure if this is possible in the vanilla game, yet. I know there's no corpse tab.

Yeah, a player fort would just dispose of corpses. Hill dwarves would bring corpses in additionally with a payment to dispose of the corpses for them--ceremonially of course. Don't want corpses? Don't trade for them.
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 01:58:49 am »

Why exactly is this in suggestions? You can already make materials and items with negative value.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:55:05 am »

Why exactly is this in suggestions? You can already make materials and items with negative value.

I think the point is the capacity to "buy" corpses for trading credit (or, to read the other suggestion, pay people to take them back with them). 

It's just that the OP thinks the best way to do this is to make it a negative value transaction, while I think that, if we're going so far as to make a burial service something we make a part of fortress function, we might as well go further, and make it a service that has its own specific mini-interface and rules.

So far as it goes, making a "crypt fortress" could make some degree of sense as a starting scenario.  You get extra pay to make sure that the corpses are secure and well-respected, and kept far out of reach of any necromancers.  Inversely, if a crypt for is around, you can trade away some extra goods to have the capacity to shove your corpse problems off to a caravan.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 10:00:26 am »

So far as it goes, making a "crypt fortress" could make some degree of sense as a starting scenario.  You get extra pay to make sure that the corpses are secure and well-respected, and kept far out of reach of any necromancers.  Inversely, if a crypt for is around, you can trade away some extra goods to have the capacity to shove your corpse problems off to a caravan.
The fun bit being that there's a re-animating biome between your fort and the crypt fort.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map