Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Keas!  (Read 6709 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Keas!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 05:16:25 pm »

HINT: They kill dogs (thats 120 Points wasted).
...How did you lose that many dogs to keas?  Were they trained?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Shawarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »

"THE MURDERING PARROT

"Found only in New Zealand, the kea passes the summer high in the mountains of South Island, feeding mainly on fruit but also taking insects and worms. But when winter comes it descends to the plains where sheep-farming is one of the main activities. It is there that this otherwise harmless vegetarian changes character. Originally its ancestors pecked the sheepskins hanging outside sheep stations for insects, or tasted offal from the slaughter-houses. Later generations of keas, having acquired this taste for flesh, began to prey on the bodies of living sheep, chiefly for the sake of the kidney-fat they had learned to look for. So expert is the kea that it will alight on the back of a sheep exactly where the kidneys are most easily exposed. The cruel beak finds its meal in an instant, leaving the poor beast mortally wounded."

--Animal World in Color, Volume 8 - Hunters: Birds, Fish, and Amphibians, edited by Maurice Burton, Childrens Press: Chicago, 1969

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 05:53:12 pm »

so, what you are trying to say is that the kea has now developed a taste for dwarf liver?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 06:34:15 pm »

"THE MURDERING PARROT

"Found only in New Zealand, the kea passes the summer high in the mountains of South Island, feeding mainly on fruit but also taking insects and worms. But when winter comes it descends to the plains where sheep-farming is one of the main activities. It is there that this otherwise harmless vegetarian changes character. Originally its ancestors pecked the sheepskins hanging outside sheep stations for insects, or tasted offal from the slaughter-houses. Later generations of keas, having acquired this taste for flesh, began to prey on the bodies of living sheep, chiefly for the sake of the kidney-fat they had learned to look for. So expert is the kea that it will alight on the back of a sheep exactly where the kidneys are most easily exposed. The cruel beak finds its meal in an instant, leaving the poor beast mortally wounded."

--Animal World in Color, Volume 8 - Hunters: Birds, Fish, and Amphibians, edited by Maurice Burton, Childrens Press: Chicago, 1969

ROFL!

This needs to be added to the wiki!
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Shawarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »

Seriously though, check the wiki link on the magmawiki site. The wikipedia entry is crazy and even shows a picture of a sheep with a giant hole ripped into it, presumably by keas. It was only recently (relatively) that keas were documented attacking healthy sheep for their sweet sweet dwarfy....err... sheepy liver.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 02:40:05 am »

Was this an African or European kea?
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 08:18:51 am »

wasnt a keas a bat in the legend of zelda? make a squad of "dwarves" with emerald dyed tunics, low boots, cap, and a sword and shield(buy wooden ones from the elves for extra bonus), and see how they do....oh and a bow and silver arrows, some wax(for a candle), and a flute...cant think of anything else. oh and have one of the group find a special sword deep underground and pull it out with that awesome sound effect.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 08:20:40 am »

Get some marksdwarves patroling the area. Although be ready for the surface to be a nightmere scene of blood, bird corpses and broken bolts.
Nightmare?
You must have a very twisted idea of nightmare, good sir!

But yeah, they are quite annoying.
As everybody said, crossbows.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »

"THE MURDERING PARROT

"Found only everywhere, the kea passes the summer high in the mountains of South Island, feeding mainly on fruit but also taking weapons and trade goods left outdoors. But when winter comes it descends to the plains where goblinite-mining is one of the main activities. It is there that this otherwise harmless vegetarian changes character. Originally its ancestors pecked the sheepskins hanging outside sheep stations for insects, or tasted dumped cartilage and nervous tissue from the butchery. Later generations of keas, having grown giant and acquired this taste for flesh, began to prey on the bodies of living dwarves, chiefly for the sake of the booze-soaked livers they had learned to look for. So expert is the kea that it will alight on the back of a dwarf exactly where the liver most easily exposed. The cruel beak finds its meal in an instant, leaving the poor dwarf mortally wounded, because the doctor is usually On Break."
Have I fixed it? I had to do it in a hurry.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 05:20:31 pm »

"THE MURDERING PARROT

"Found only everywhere, the kea passes the summer high in the mountains of the Island of Mirth, feeding mainly on fruit but also taking weapons and trade goods left outdoors. But when winter comes it descends to the plains where goblinite-mining is one of the main activities. It is there that this otherwise harmless vegetarian changes character. Originally its ancestors pecked the sheepskins hanging outside sheep stations for insects, or tasted dumped cartilage and nervous tissue from the butchery. Later generations of keas, having grown giant and acquired a taste for flesh, began to prey on the bodies of living dwarves, chiefly for the sake of the booze-soaked livers they had learned to look for. So expert is the kea that it will alight on the back of a dwarf exactly where the liver most easily exposed. The cruel beak finds its meal in an instant, leaving the poor dwarf mortally wounded, because the doctor is usually On Break."

FT(FTFY)FY
At last, she is done.

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »

Keas are weak, but oh gawd giant keas. I embarked on a untamed-wilds-mountian-biome once, and those bastards ate 1-2 of my dwarfs and a few dogs. I think that was when I started checking for keas on the unit screen constantly,

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 09:53:10 pm »

Ah the dreaded kea... just be glad they arnt giant.

Be very glad they aren't, because mine ARE giant and believe me, a flock of Giant Keas will ruin your whole day unless you're ready for them.

trapped and tamed and trained for war, giant keas are sweet.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 11:50:33 pm »

"THE MURDERING PARROT

"Found only everywhere, the kea passes the summer high in the mountains of South Island, feeding mainly on fruit but also taking weapons and trade goods left outdoors. But when winter comes it descends to the plains where goblinite-mining is one of the main activities. It is there that this otherwise harmless vegetarian changes character. Originally its ancestors pecked the sheepskins hanging outside sheep stations for insects, or tasted dumped cartilage and nervous tissue from the butchery. Later generations of keas, having grown giant and acquired this taste for flesh, began to prey on the bodies of living dwarves, chiefly for the sake of the booze-soaked livers they had learned to look for. So expert is the kea that it will alight on the back of a dwarf exactly where the liver most easily exposed. The cruel beak finds its meal in an instant, leaving the poor dwarf mortally wounded, because the doctor is usually On Break."

That is a strong bird, it can pick up that lamb by it head and fly away with it. Now I know how they been stealing my caged goblins.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 02:46:13 am »

That is a strong bird, it can pick up that lamb by it head and fly away with it. Now I know how they been stealing my caged goblins.

Congrats on weaponising Keas. If only my prisoner clean up was as easy.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 [2]