Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Black Ice (on Steam)  (Read 902 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Black Ice (on Steam)
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:18:49 pm »

Trying to help this game gain some fame!

Recently discovered the game Black Ice on Steam and it scratches all the same itches that 3089 does (for me, at least!) :) The Steam page covers the game pretty well, so I won't go into that here (don't have much time at the moment!).. The dev is friendly and always willing to chat with fans/customers, and when I see that I always feel like doing a bit of free advertising :D

So! Check it out, give it a glance, see if what you see hooks you in.. Its an Early Access game but the dev plans on supporting it after final release too..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311800/

LordPyrrole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Ice (on Steam)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:15 pm »

I watched the trailer and read the description for it and i sounds good, but looks to similar to Borderlands for me, I'm one of those people who won't spend money on something that's similar to another.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:37:51 pm »

Don't forget Doom! It also looks too similar to Doom! ::) #sarcasm
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LordPyrrole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:40:11 pm »

Even the creator said that it was basically Borderlands with a Tron look to it, it's like buying a whole new car just for a new paint job.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:13:37 pm »

Forgot to mention that there's a demo on Steam, for any interested, but you may experience main menu lag.. The lag has already been fixed in the indev version currently, but the demo still suffers from it..

For honesty, and clarity, currently the enemy types and weaponry types are a bit thin (though the random-gen attributes do provide a pretty rich variety).. which is why I relate it to 3089.. But its indev, and the dev seems pretty proud of his work, so here's hoping that it'll grow richer :)

But for weaponry you've got 6 or 7 slots you can equip stuff in (RAM serves as a unusable stat/skill item similar to armor, separate slots for running equipment and for jumping equipment.. and then 6 or 7 slots you can equip with whatever you want.. One weapon and lots of RAM cards, or no RAM cards and 7 10-projectile shotguns that you can fire off 70 bullets per barrage simultaneously :O With the "FIRE ALL BARRELS AT ONCE!" it steps a bit farther than Borderlands, but overall I'm hoping for more variety in weapon types (which the dev has stated are definitely in the works, along with more enemy types..)..

I've also suggested that multi-shot/barrage homing missiles would be a welcome addition :> But the dev responded with "Try finding a "drunken" prefix rocket-launching shotgun and see if that's what you're after :)".. I haven't even seen a "drunken" weapon yet, but I'm intrigued :>

One other thing to mention is the "hacking" aspect, and how it isn't really present in-game.. Each building/tower/server has a "danger level" and when you poke that tower with your icebreaker it creates a radius around the tower that you have to stay inside of during the fight.. and then the tower starts puking out enemies.. kill the enemies and you've "hacked" the tower.. I don't mind, because I'm not sure how to make it more "hacky" without relying on some kind of mini-game-esque element, and I love 1st-person twitch-blasting enemies anyway..

Another saddening thing I read was that the dev has to pay an "outside source" for (Unity-based) graphics assets for the game, so he can't really run wild with ideas/suggestions that require graphical representation :( That's the kind of thing I feel like a healthy, dedicated community would create for free, just for the honor of adding to an already good game..

Okay! There's some negatives to balance my original post ;)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:32:49 am »

How "Early Access" is this game right now? It looks like it could be pretty fun, but I don't know, it feels like it's probably not super complete looking at the trailer. What's your opinion on that?

I just read Neuromancer like last week though, so all the references make me happy!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.