Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Pigs are not breeding. :/  (Read 2365 times)

Giant Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Pigs are not breeding. :/
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:39 am »

Hello everyone!

I started my game with 2 pigs (one Boar, one Sow). Later on, there was even another Sow added by a migrant.
I have all those pigs in one 60 tiles big pasture area in my fort.
But they are just not reproducing.

My dogs already breeded like 3 or 4 times.
Is there something special I have to do to get them in the mood?

Dragoon508

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Pigs are not breeding. :/
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:47:29 am »

Well you need to put some candles in there along with playing some barry white.

I have noticed this as well with my fort but it could be that this version has broken breeding with pigs.

Giant Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:59:38 am »

Hey, thx for the tip! ^^

And omg ... just after I made this thread, now finally there's the first piglet! :D
I was already afraid, my Boar was impotent.

So maybe those pigs are just very slow with breeding.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:15:32 pm »

Were they close to each other, or running loose? Could be they just never "hooked up" when they crossed paths? Since pigs are not grazers, you could put all pigs in one cage (or one small room) to maximize the odds that they bump into each other as often as possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 01:19:04 pm »

Don't put breeders in cages, as critters don't breed at all while caged (they may still give birth if impregnated prior to being caged).
As Albedo otherwise said, pigs are suitable for being kept in a reasonably small room. Breeding for all real creatures (i.e. excluding vermin) is now based on being in adjacent tiles. The room has to be large enough for the creatures not to feel cramped, or they'll start fighting. I THINK one tile per creature (which includes the eventual offspring) is enough, but don't relay on that. A two tile room with a nest box caused the parent birds to kill at least one chick, while I seem to get things to work with three tiles, but I remove the chicks from the breeding chamber as soon as they are hatched.

I keep my non grazing breeders mixed up in room that's about 10*4 (you wouldn't expect it to work, but tigers go along just fine with gorillas, chicken, boa constrictors, and dogs. Rutherers fit right in as well).

Apart from physical proximity, animals (as well as dwarves) have to have a suitable sexual leaning, i.e. being bi- or hetero-sexual. Dwarf Therapist shows this orientation for dwarves and animals alike. However, I've been told "no desire to have children" is shown as asexual, at least for animals (although I struggle with the concept of animals having heterosexual relations while still somehow blocking impregnation).

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 01:57:58 pm »

The states of interest a creature can have for a creature of the same type of either the same or opposite gender are: Uninterested, interested, but unwilling to marry, or interested and willing to marry. From my experience, it seems that animals will breed if they have either of the 'interested' states to the opposite gender, but sentient creatures will only breed with their spouse (which they can't have unless interested and willing to marry towards opposite gender).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:05:59 pm »

Someone objected to my observation that "asexual" is a fairly common DT description for animals, quoting a rather low percentage chance for that. The experienced DT percentages matched the sum of uninterested + non marrying ones a lot better. I haven't done any active experiments to check whether DT "asexual" animals actually produce offspring, though, but I've never gotten any offspring in the cases where all members of one gender were either asexual or homo (again, as reported by DT).