Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sun sickness  (Read 1319 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
sun sickness
« on: May 31, 2015, 01:30:04 pm »

so my military cant really handle the sun...which sucks for me because going out into the sun is something they do every siege..and having them limp around puking while they are supposed to do combat IS NOT a good thing in my opinion..unless i can somehow weaponize their puking...but alas thats besides the point.

how should i go fix this? so far i have sent all of them to train in an outside area..but its not really bringing in any good results as they go outside puke on the ground and go back in shortwhile later.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: sun sickness
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:47:30 pm »

- One method is to put a roof over the area where they're supposed to fight.
- The method usually mentioned is to build the militia training room outdoors.
- A weaker version of the above is to build the training room above ground but under a roof (and with walls) for protection. Cave adaptation does not worsen while above ground under a roof, but isn't trained away either.
- Another method is periodic patrolling above ground without a roof to fight cave adaptation.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:49:16 pm »

I'm not sure I follow you completely so forgive me if what I say isn't pertinent...

Somethings I would try:

~Build some outdoor statue gardens or designate some outdoor meeting areas so all of your dwarves get used to sunlight.
~Make life hard on your military dwarves. Make them train every day outside for the rest of their lives. Make it up to them by brewing good booze and giving them some decent quarters.
~Send them off to slaughter the local fauna. When one batch dies another generally spawns. (It get's them used to death as well as the sun and also provides some food, leather, bones, teeth, shells, hooves, horns etc. for your fortress). They run pretty slow at first, but after a while they can outrun a lot of wildlife even in full armor. Having them train war dogs is helpful for this as well since war dogs can outrun a lot of animals but generally could use the added benefit of melee dwarf.

~You could try to lure the enemies inside with some well placed kitten bait... Make an indoor anteroom and close the doors behind them. When they seem particularly vulnerable send in the militia.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 04:54:29 pm »

If you want to fully cure your soldiers, keep them outside for about two and a half months - cave adaptation caps after about 2 years of being in "Dark" areas, but being "Outside" decreases it 10 times faster. From maximum adaptation, 16.3 days will be enough to stop the Nausea and reduce the other symptoms, and another 16.8 days will be enough to nullify all of the symptoms, but it'll take another 33.6 days to reduce the adaptation counter all the way to zero (so that it doesn't immediately come back once they go underground again).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 05:24:22 pm »

If you want to fully cure your soldiers, keep them outside for about two and a half months - cave adaptation caps after about 2 years of being in "Dark" areas, but being "Outside" decreases it 10 times faster. From maximum adaptation, 16.3 days will be enough to stop the Nausea and reduce the other symptoms, and another 16.8 days will be enough to nullify all of the symptoms, but it'll take another 33.6 days to reduce the adaptation counter all the way to zero (so that it doesn't immediately come back once they go underground again).

so it seems to be.,

they are actually sparring now..and my entrance to the outdoor farm isnt caked green with puke anymore...progress.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 01:34:50 pm »

I used to make half enclosed barrack towers for my military.  A big room, at the top of a top, with a partial roof.  The beds and furniture go under the room, but the room encompses the ground classified as outside as well.  So the dwarves naturally end up getting lots of sun.

Lately though, I've been experimenting with only letting fisherdwarves and woodworkers up into the nasty sun.  I dig a 3 wide tunnel into the stone, with a ditch on either side of it (smoothed at the bottom) and line my barracks up with carved fortications along both sides of the tunnel and a trade depot at the end.  Then I assign marksdwarves to those barracks so that anything coming in the nice wide open tunnel has a ton of crossfire from both sides.  Ordinary melee dwarves can be waiting at the end, near the trading depot.  Some guy down in the bowels of the fortress should have a pile of slabs ready to go for all the woodsdwarves and fisherdwarves...