Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whats a good MMO?  (Read 3639 times)

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats a good MMO? [Need Pathfinder Online Buddy Key]
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 06:49:15 am »

Perpetuum Online, b2p eve like mmo with mechs

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 11:18:45 am »

EvE online basically fits the bill perfectly. It can be free once you skill a bit, has one of the most mature communities (the average age is 31) and has plenty of decent communities. The skill system means you dont even have to be playing the game to get higher skills, so life investment is out. It's obviously not in beta, and is only boring if you make it. If you want, you can do a free 30 day trial, and I can show you the ropes.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 11:25:20 am »

I have played EVe for a long time. Since 2004 I think. I resub once in a while but in general I am looking for something less involved. SOmething with depth when I want it and then bubble-gum play when I want it.

Repopulation looks cool but yeah I have heard its not fun now. Star War Galaxies remade. SWG with modern bells and whistles would be ideal.
I got nothing

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 11:34:30 am »

Path of Exile.

It's nice, in that you aren't forced to constantly pay to do things like remove gems from your equipment or level them up, and can change your skills any time (because they come from gems!), and everyone doesn't have the same build because of the passive tree which is more like a giant interconnected web which just starts the different "classes" at different positions on it, etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 04:02:18 pm »

Path of Exile.

I grew quite frustrated with PoE, after sinking several months into and repeatedly having to rebuild my characters due to skill-tree overhauls rendering my hard-earned skill gems obsolete. And eventually it became clear that the only way to participate in the endgame was through inconvenient trading on the forums to acquire very specific combinations of unique gear just so that I could run around doing the exact same builds as everyone else at that level.

Make no mistake, I put a lot of hours into PoE and most of them were quite fun, but still I'd have to advise against it due to the way it turned out.

Instead I recommend Marvel Heroes 2015. Same basic gameplay style, smoother progression and better endgame. Also development is much more active.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 05:23:32 pm »

There's wakfu if you want to try. Its quite a bit different from any other mmo out there (with the exception of dofus, its older brother created by the same company) in that its combat is tactical, as in Final Fantasy Tactics and etc. A while ago bay12 had a guild in it and all, but people eventualy just ended up leaving. Thus far, the game is still undergoing some significant changes, class wise, and they just added a new class. I still play it on and off, but I might play more often if some bay12 people want to team up with new characters.

Its on steam now, too, and completely free other then cosmetic items, exclusive mounts, pets and sidekicks (which are special characters that you can control alongside your actual character). You can buy things like experience boosts on the shop too, I think, but the game isn't grindy untill higher levels, and even then only if you're going solo and not with a group of people due to how the xp distribution works. Professions, however, can be grindy to level.

Game is in its late beta development stage, and classes are still being adjusted, but its quite a complete game by now. They just did a change to how character stats are organized and and etc, so its not entirely newbie friendly, meaning you'll prob want to read a guide or two about a certain class if you want to play past the early game. Its reasonably easy to reroll your character though. New content is constantly being added.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:28:22 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 05:41:32 pm »

Just ta answer a few suggestions. I played Pepretuum years ago, its pretty MEH, might as well play Eve.

I played Path of Exile, not really an MMORPG by the common definition. Not what I am looking for really, but thanks, a fun game for a little while anyway.

I played Dofus and bit of Wakfu, though didnt get far. Did they add the fun part yet? I might try it again but people complain of bugs and nerfing

Not sure what I really want, nostalgia hurts this process. Everquest Next might be the fix, or maybe something like The Repopulation.

At least I have a few suggestions from above to try out.

How is the Elder Scroll Online thingy? I heard its been improved a lot since it came out.
I got nothing

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 06:21:46 pm »

The problem with wakfu is that the fun largely depends on doing things with other players, I feel. Going around solo is ok, but it'll become old as you reach the higher levels. The rule thumb is that the higher your level is, the more you want to go around doing things with groups of people. Also a number of classes are getting revamped, so you might want to stay away from sadidas, rogues, and maybe foggernauts if that bothers you. From what I understand, they're trying to make each class' different builds viable, instead of having 1 awesome build and the other builds being meh in comparison, for example: they're revamping the osa (supposedly) soon, since summon based osamodas is just way better then dragon or gobgob based osas right now, despite all the complaints about summon AI.

There is quite a bit of fun to be had, yes, but again, if you just want to go solo, then its probably not the best mmo for that kind of thing.

Theres 15 classes in total now with Eliatropes, I think.

Additionaly, I can sugest guild wars 2, if you're willing to shell money for it (since its a one time payment deal). I had lots of fun with it 2 years ago, but I stopped playing since and I have no idea how the game is right now. I hear they added some new ways to play some classes and added a new class.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:24:08 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 07:01:03 pm »

What about Darkfall? Anyone have any experience with that? Can it even be played without a mic?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:12:24 pm by ductape »
I got nothing
Pages: 1 [2]