Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ahhh well now I know why people love and curse this game xD  (Read 1118 times)

Yarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was pottering around with my second fortress after flooding my first through my hospital well... All was going very well I had no trouble with any hostile showing up so I was skipping iron and going straight to steel before starting up my military.

Then this happened.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had no military to defend myself. Lesson learnt Don't skip iron weapons.

Artichaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ahhh well now I know why people love and curse this game xD
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:24:24 am »

Well i think that even with iron weapons you would have a big trouble.

I embark yesterday near a tower and was expecting a small attack of necromancer. So i had 2 soldiers with silver mace after 1 year, and then I have been sieged with 50 zombies and 3 necromancers. I succeed of caging 2 necromancers and kill the last one. Victory ! Without master the zombies will disappear !!!

Wait ... they're still coming ... Whaaaaaaa ! Urist and Bomrok, take care of these 50 zombies with your awsome silver maces !

Didn't finish very well

Dragoon508

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:35:08 am »

Honestly with undead you want to use blunt weapons. Silver tends to be the best in that regard but if you had copper it would work well.

My advice is also never skimp on iron even if you have steel. I tend to keep enough iron equipment on hand to equip 40 dwarves, even if I have access to steel. You can quickly equip a group and it is still useful.

Richard Von Veger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McRichard cancels sleep:interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:47:30 am »

When I play in a hostile area I tend to build bridges/gates very early.It is the best defense when you are  small and don't have a big and experienced army.Just press the lever and you are safe for the time being.

Yarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:49 am »

Oh I was in a calm area with no sign of a necromancers tower nearby. Oh well, time for the second load of sacrifices workers and to establish a new settlement!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:54 pm »

A gorillion traps, plastering the world everywhere is also a very good defence against the undead. Stone traps are cheap, dirty and can be built in fields of traps. If they don't pulp the undead for good, the undead will be hobbled, and necromancers can find themselves horribly crippled if they stray too far from the horde. And then they reach the cage trap fields.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 09:21:03 am »

I'd say: Undead sieges are best handled by lockdown + traps.

Actual dwarf power don't really work unless you've got a number of Elites on hand with really good armor & weapons. And even then, expect the majority of them to die and get raised by necromancers.

I'm not too sure it still works in the latest version, but I use to make a tower defense like entrance with "juggling" raising bridges. Enemies path 1 way, then reverse continuously, always getting hit by traps & balista bolts & marksdwarves (if I care to post them to their "towers")

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 12:17:50 pm »

Those armadillo boars are ruthless >.>

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.