Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you butcher creatures caught in traps?  (Read 903 times)

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you butcher creatures caught in traps?
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:52:28 pm »

Odd question I know, but I've had some wild animals get caught in my Goblin Punchbag Collectors Cage Traps.

I can mark the creatures as to be butchered in the Z menu, but they don't get butchered. What am I missing?
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: How do you butcher creatures caught in traps?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 07:17:22 pm »

You need to train/tame them first (press t in the z menu).
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:06:36 pm »

Alternatively, if you just leave them in a cage they will be butchered when they expire from old age. (This only works for wild creatures; tame creatures must be slaughtered.)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:23:44 pm »

Alternatively, if you just leave them in a cage they will be butchered when they expire from old age. (This only works for wild creatures; tame creatures must be slaughtered.)
LOL

Dropping them into a spike pit is faster...but I get your point.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:34:02 pm »

You can also build their cage, and then let them go from there (possibly via lever), and let your military dwarves get a little practice. 

Butchery only happens with tamed animals, so if you have wild animals you want for butchery stock, then breeding a few and taming their children may be the best bet, especially if they're larger creatures that don't require grazing space.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:40:48 pm »

If you just want to quickly butcher it, check if you have any animal trainers first, then open the z menu, select the animal, press t, enter, then b.

After that, you don't need to do a thing as your dorfs will try to butcher it as soon as it loses its wild flag.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:31:31 am »

Thanks all. I went with the "Military-Dorf-With-An-Axe" method.

Then I removed the cage traps. They were only a stop gap until the Steel Industry came online anyway.

Now I just have bits of Impala scattered around the outer perimeter weapon traps.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!