Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals stay in meeting hall and wont go to the assigned pasture.  (Read 13515 times)

LutherBrasshand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I made a huge pasture full of grass and assigned all my grazing animals to it. However all they do is hang around the meeting area and eventually starve to death. They have complete access outside to it but insist on wandering around inside. Is it a bug? If not what do I do?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals stay in meeting hall and wont go to the assigned pasture.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »

Make sure your pasture is "active", and verify some of your dwarves have the "animal hauling" labor enabled (animals will not go to a pasture unless led by a dwarf).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:24:08 pm »

Loci answered while I wrote...

Animals tend to gravitate to the meeting area unless something stops them from doing that. Assignment to pasture tends to sort of block the meeting area gravitation, but does not exert much (or any) pull by itself. Instead, dorfs have to move them there using the animal hauling labor. Another possibility is that you accidentally have marked the pasture as inactive (useful when a siege comes, as deactivating a pasture gets the animals to slowly drift to the meeting area, and thus safety). You can also try to mark the pasture as a meeting area as well (and disable the "real" one) to see if you can get the grazers to move.

LutherBrasshand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:27 pm »

Loci answered while I wrote...

Animals tend to gravitate to the meeting area unless something stops them from doing that. Assignment to pasture tends to sort of block the meeting area gravitation, but does not exert much (or any) pull by itself. Instead, dorfs have to move them there using the animal hauling labor. Another possibility is that you accidentally have marked the pasture as inactive (useful when a siege comes, as deactivating a pasture gets the animals to slowly drift to the meeting area, and thus safety). You can also try to mark the pasture as a meeting area as well (and disable the "real" one) to see if you can get the grazers to move.

I will see if that works, thanks.

LutherBrasshand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:21:16 pm »

Yeah turn out I didn't have active turned on, All my dwarves brought them over as soon as I fixed that.