Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do Supersonic Minecarts still work?  (Read 2466 times)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Supersonic Minecarts still work?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 10:04:04 am »

Can't you just get a dwarf to guide the minecart back up to the top of the ramp again? Why the need for all the machinery?

Three words:
Rate
of
fire
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 10:28:41 am »

Can't you just get a dwarf to guide the minecart back up to the top of the ramp again? Why the need for all the machinery?

Three words:
Rate
of
fire

It's not hard to generate a ton of power and link it to a bunch of rollers.  You only need one roller per lane per 5 Zs, and with a roller kick-off, you need only 45 consecutive ramps, so that's 11 rollers total per cart.  (Embark on a cliff, unless you want to make your entrance in the first cavern.)

It's just both massively more space-inefficient, and FPS-inefficient to set up rollers and waterwheels to do all this.  Also, unless you do something like drain the ocean into a cavern via waterfall to set up your giant super waterwheel battery, you're still using an exploit, and if you are draining the ocean into the cavern, you're decimating your FPS.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 10:46:23 am »

Windmills.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 11:16:43 am »

Windmills.

Not an exploit how? They're perpetually running at the same speed.  To keep them from being knocked over from every passing alligator, you probably also want to wall the windmills in, or put them in a pit.  (Pitting them would be best to transmit power down the 45zs, anyway...)

And the minecart collisions are also clear exploits of the lack of collision damage for minecarts, which shouldn't react to 1000 kph collisions like they're perfectly elastic billiard balls traveling at 10 kph.

Not to mention friction doesn't ramp up with speed until you hit "terminal velocity" where it suddenly spikes by a thousand-fold.  If friction increased with velocity as in the real world, none of this would work.

It's arbitrary kludge physics all the way down. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:18:49 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 04:48:17 pm »

Yeah, but this subset of arbitrary physics kludge gives me a very nontrivial challenge.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.
Pages: 1 [2]