Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck caravan  (Read 1119 times)

Dragoon508

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuck caravan
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:24:19 am »

I have a human caravan stuck in the unloading phase as one of the guards apparently can't pathfind to the depot. He is just wondering around on the other side of the pond and wont move over. Is there a way to fix  this? My depot is accessible by everyone else

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck caravan
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:38:30 am »

Odd, are you sure it's a guard and not an animal hauler?
My past experience is that guards don't matter for the caravany things.
One thing you might try is to build a bridge and/or floor across the water. If this guard gets stuck then there is a risk invaders do as well. Now, if you like to sally forth and crush the invaders with your militia, that might not be much of a problem, but if you want the buggers to come to you, passing through your gauntlet of punishment on the way, that might be an issue that ought to be corrected.

Dragoon508

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:06 am »

Alright I found the issue. One of the merchants went into the water and is hanging out in there apparently. How do I get this guy out? All the other merchants got through alright but this guy.

For invaders it seems they always spawn in the exact same spot by my road. Cant get the merchants to spawn by the road but those goblins sure seem to like to. They have no problem leaving by it though.

Edit: he is on a slope as well but does not want to get out.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:12:21 pm »

If it's a pool you could dig under it and (partially) drain it - that might help.

If a river or larger body, you could channel out a medium-sized area 100% of inter-connected ramps, then channel out the tile next to him and hope the flow sweeps him to a ramp-tile that he does like.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »

Creatures stuck on a slope in water is a long standing bug. For whatever reason, they seem to forget where they were going when losing visual sight of the target at the same time as they enter the water. Fighting can occasionally cause the stuck critters to jump out of the water to get at their targets.
Water is not strictly necessary for critters to get stuck: I've had a bunch of Plump Helmet Men who stuck themselves on a slope in the caverns and then failed to move.

Albedo's recommendations are sound. If you manage to dry the water down to 1/7 you may also try to shear away the slope on that tile only if he still won't move.

I recently had a militiadwarf who for some reason entered a slope I'd dug to fight invading goblins and then got stuck. He accepted orders, but never moved to perform them. When he started to get thirsty I teleported him elsewhere using DFHack Fastdwarf, but he still refused to move. He eventually died of thirst. He wasn't physically hurt or suffering from any mental problems. I don't know if that is related to the "stuck on slope in water" problem, though.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 01:09:53 pm »

@ PL - I wonder, if you constructed a cave-in floor-trap and knocked him out, if he would have snapped out of it when he awoke. Or if you'd t-ported him to a short fall, similarly.

Irksome.

Dragoon508

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 01:14:40 pm »

yea so I drained the pond he was in and he stayed in it until the caravan left. Making it so I did not get to trade that time around. Annoying as all heck

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »

I've had good luck channeling out beneath stuck merchants.  Once they fall into the surprise pit, they suddenly start moving again.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 01:28:04 pm »

I doubt Fastdwarf would allow me to teleport dorfs to places they couldn't otherwise go to, but a retracting bridge might achieve the same thing (or even a raising one: tossing the dorfs might kill him, but he's already effectively dead). I'll also consider the channeling method rather than just a simple ramp removal. A cave-in might be considered as well.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 05:50:43 pm »

Retracting bridge w/ 1z fall - could be perfect. (And you pro'ly have some around already.)

yea so I drained the pond he was in and he stayed in it until the caravan left. Making it so I did not get to trade that time around. Annoying as all heck

When I am dealt a situation like that, I have no problem Saving the game and making a copy (or three) of that save, then experimenting with the problem, ignoring (most) all other fortress activity and just letting the clock run. If something fails utterly or time runs out, I hard-kill the game (so that save isn't corrupted) and reload until I get it right, or surrender to the bug and fate.

Once I know how to solve it (or that I can't), I go back and load the saved version, and get right on the approp course of action. Doesn't feel like "cheating" to me, but ymmv.