Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves die in worldgen  (Read 702 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves die in worldgen
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:24:13 pm »

Anyone know why all of my civs are dying during worldgen? usually dwarves first, then human, and later the elves IF I gen longer than 10,000 years (but goblins have lasted up to 100,000 years in worldgen or more)

Any way I can give the non-gob civs a leg-up in worldgen, either through parameters or raws editing?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves die in worldgen
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 03:59:49 pm »

Civs die as a result of being wiped out... The culprits are (semi) mega beasts and the like early on, and wars later on.

I suspect the parallel world generation forum can provide better help, but ensuring the biomes favored/required by the various races are abundant ought to help, and goblins are probably nerfed by having low amounts of evil in the world. Another way would be to custom make the map using Perfect World or something like that to separate the races and possibly make it such that erosion eventually opens up paths between previously separated races.

In my world gens I generally end up with just dwarves and goblins, but I tend to go for short histories in pocket worlds, so most of the killing is probably done by monsters.

Oh, and necros can have a negative impact on the life force of their victims...

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 04:25:57 pm »

100,000 years? How do you manage that?

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 04:50:38 pm »

Cheat engine

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:56:53 pm »

You know, since you are cheating, maybe the game orginally doesn't consider longer than 10000 years. So maybe they stop having offsprings at some point, or have problems obtaining food/resources. Since goblins are immortal and don't eat, they can live forever.

Edit*
Oh, and goblins may attack other civs and eventually wear them off.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:02:25 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 02:22:26 pm »

Why would you gen out to 100,000 years? That sounds like the actual problem here... generally a world's "lifespan" winds down once goblins/evil have wiped out all other sentient civs, so I think by simming out to 100k years you're probably going far beyond that point.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 02:45:17 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if goblins/etc. wipe out the other 3 races, but not vice versa - so dwarves will always risk becoming fewer, while goblins can only become larger. At 100k years, it's not impossible that there are still dwarves, just ~very~ unlikely any survive.

That's just a theory. But I like it.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 06:45:55 pm »

I was talking about regular worlds, the 100000 one was just an experiment

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:31:53 pm »

I was talking about regular worlds, the 100000 one was just an experiment
Yeah, as they said, goblins eventually kill them.

Maybe you can try lowering mega beasts number and/or demon types number (they seem to affect goblin populations) in advanced world gen settings.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 09:42:16 pm »

You could always just try to kill off the goblin populace as an adventurer, and then let the world pass you by. But sadly, it's not possible to continue generating a world after playing in it.

Yet.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.