Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nurses and Lawyers Everywhere  (Read 833 times)

Sycokinetic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Nurses and Lawyers Everywhere
« on: May 11, 2015, 04:14:45 pm »

Soooo my typical starting procedure for a new fortress includes opening Dwarf Therapist and going to the roles tab to see who should get which jobs to start with. For the past few months, I've noticed that most of my embarks get seven dwarves that are all 90+% fit for being a nurse and a lawdwarf. Is this a bug with v0.40.24, a consequence of its updates, a bug with Dwarf Therapist, or something else? It doesn't seem to affect my fortresses significantly, but I don't know what to make of it; and I don't even know if it's just me or if it's common.

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nurses and Lawyers Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:50:55 pm »

Do they have any skills? I've seen this as well, but mostly only with dwarves with no skills. I'm guessing that in such a situation Dwarf Therapist looks for suitability in unskilled professions based on values, attributes and personality traits, where dwarves' tendencies for empathy and respect for law makes them near-perfect for roles of nurse and lawdwarf.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:59:04 pm »

I believe for the lawdwarf role, it looks for physically weak dwarves and penalizes them for any fighting skills, with the goal of making the beatings administered by the dwarf less likely to be lethal. I'd guess if you got a very strong dwarf, or one with a high striking skill, he wouldn't rate so highly as a lawdwarf. Since the nurse role is to carry wounded dwarves to the hospital, and to bring food/water to dwarves who can't feed themselves for whatever reason, I'd guess it only looks at personality traits, which will make a lot of dwarves highly suited to the role.

Sycokinetic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:23:36 pm »

Right, this is before I've assigned them any skills; and it does make sense that they'd naturally fit those roles well. I guess I'll go with it just being a side effect of the personality updates then, which is good because it means I don't have worry about it.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:42:17 pm »

Dwarves seem to have depressingly bad stats these days.  There's one guy that's 'strong' but also slow to heal and quick to tire, etc, two to four bad stats for every positive.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:04:42 pm »

Yes, but "bad" stats are relative by the way. Dwarves are way better than humans at a lot of things, so a dwarf who is weak is still stronger than a weak human.
I like sushi.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 01:35:32 pm »

It's like in some RP games where "Dwarves get -2 to Agility" - so any dwarf with "average" Agility is actually well above average. And, likewise, a solid +St +Ag +, +Tough, +Recup, + Kinesthetic military dwarf is a rare thing indeed, and for obvious reasons.

Keep rollin' dem dice!