Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I dont know what I'm doing! (atom smasher)  (Read 1079 times)

eazy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I dont know what I'm doing! (atom smasher)
« on: May 16, 2015, 05:35:12 pm »

Hi, Just newbie here,

Trying to make this thing work to kill a werelizard.  After 5-6 werebeast attacks and retired fortresses I finally managed to contain one in my hospital. Problem is he's still there and I want him dead. So Ive built a bridge, lever and connected them. Now I cant get the damn werelizard to move underneath it. I've tryed making a burrow but he just sits there on his bed taunting me. When I removed his bed he then got up and switched to another room.

Here's a pic;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I dont know what I'm doing! (atom smasher)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:57:32 pm »

I'm not sure if I can read your tileset, but first of all, for an atomsmasher you need a drawbridge that is set to "raise". It works like a wall when raised, and besides that one-tile wall in your picture in the hospital doorway I can't see any.
By default a drawbridge is setto "retract" but you can set the raising direction before building it, using the wadx(sic!)
Now for getting a particular dwarf to a particular location:
Assigning the dwarf to a burrow afaik only achieves that he may only take jobs inside the burrow.
You should try walling him in, then rebuilding the atomsmasher so the drawbridge is set to raise. Wait for the dwarf to transform. (I take it that he already transformed once, so you know he's a werebeast.) Wait for him to transform back to his normal dwarven self. Unwall him, then draft him via the (m)ilitary menu. Use the (s)quad button, select his squad and tell him to (m)ove underneath your (raised) atomsmasher. Pull the lever. You will want to memorialize him, by creating a slab in the masons workshop and engraving it at a craftsdwaves' workshop, otherwise !!FUN!! things may happen.
(Note: for all of this advice I've been assuming that your werelizard is a member of your fortress. If not, just wall it in and build a bunch of weapon traps right in front of the wall and release it while it is in humanoid form or something)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:09:15 pm by Inevitability »

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 08:18:56 pm »

If you feel like using something that's not an atom smasher, something that's a little bit newbie friendly is designating a suicide lever for him to pull.

Put a lever at the end of a single tile wide hallway. Push "q" then "P" to make it so only the target dwarf can pull that lever. Then channel a deeeeep 1x1 pit in front of the lever in the hallway. Make it go straight to the magma sea for extra kicks. Build a 1x1 retracting bridge over the hole, hook it up to the lever. Have him pull it. Might take a few pulls to get him to be standing on the bridge when it drops.

There's all kinds of things you can do. Lock him into a room and drown him, it's whatever. To get him to go to a specific room, build a lever in it, push "q" then "P" to assign the target dwarf as the only dwarf who pulls it, then push "q" on the lever, "a" for assignments, "P" to pull the lever, then "r" to repeat pulling the lever. He'll just sit there and pull it back and forth, and you can wall him off in the meantime. Wall him off in a room outside with a drawbridge and unleash him during a siege at full moon, creativity is fun.

You can also just wall him off in a room indefinitely. His statuses reset at full moon, so he's virtually immortal, just engrave the room and give it some pretty furniture to make him happy and you have a fortress that can't die entirely.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:48:01 pm by Space Wizard »

IRON_GAUNTLET

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 01:54:07 pm »

That moment when you are more confused by actual graphics than by ascii symbols #JustDwarffortressthings
bay12: the place where the simulated mass murder of children is acceptable and even encouraged, but a demographic survey is controversial.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:12:22 pm »

Yeah you've definitely built a retract bridge instead of a raising bridge and you need a raising bridge for an atom smasher. Retracting a bridge will just confuse him a little bit, but won't hurt him. Just make sure to designate a direction during the initial bridge set up: when in action the bridge will turn into what looks like a wall when it is up and back into a bridge when it smashes down.

To get him in position: military squad of one, station order, closed door.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

eazy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 06:20:09 pm »

Not had the time to try anything yet (Which is strange for me, I'm never busy).  I agree making him a 1 member military dood then I can move him is probably the answer I'm looking for. And of course change the bridge. I'll kill this one and then maybe have a bit of fun with the next. However I might have made the settings a bit too easy this time, only been 1 werebeast attack. How could I make it more exciting I wonders. Kill some elven merchants or ???  ???

I haven't reached magma yet although I did find a chasm with spiders in it, I caged it off.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 04:23:12 pm »

Military, yes.

Have you done a raising bridge ? If it's a dropping bridge it won't work as an atom smasher.