Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving Question  (Read 978 times)

Crozarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving Question
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:11:33 pm »

I got into this game after reading Boatmurdered way back. I've played for a few years now and there's one thing that's bugging me: In Boatmurdered, the engravings that the Dwarves made were very often of events that occurred in the fortress. However, when I play with the current version I never seem to get engravings of events that occur in my fortress, it's always historical events of some Elf getting murdered by a Cheetah or something. Is this intended? Is there a mod or a .ini setting to change this?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving Question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:32:11 pm »

Sadly this is one of those areas where mods and settings fail us, Boatmurdered was a great many versions ago, and the game has changed rather drastically in many ways since then.  Dwarves have preferences based on their soul attributes, and those preferences have impact on what kind of art an engraver will create, as does the history of the world they inhabit.

The more events in the history of your world, the more possible subjects there are for a dwarf to engrave, so a shorter history may help.  And while your fortresses will, on average, generate a vast number of those events, if an engraver has a preference for history then they will be more likely to pick one of the historical events.

High creativity is a good attribute for engravers if you want to see a greater variety of events, but I cannot think of a single way to ensure that you'll see more engravings of events that take place explicitly within your fort.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:22:43 pm »

Boatmurdered dorfs started engraving current stuff (as far as I recall)  when everyone had already had their share of elephant trauma.

That's no different to now. Traumatize your dorfs a bit more and they'll soon be carving tragic cave-ins, accidental drowning and wild hippo attacks. Until then, extracts from history are more interesting than 'a masterful engraving of a sock' (which I think Boatmurdered had a fair few of anyhow - cheese wasn't it?).

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:56:32 pm »

Boatmurdered had engravings of renditions of cheese.
They had pictures of other pictures.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

dwarobaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:41:44 am »

I believe there's something like 'reveal history yes/no' in advanced world generation, it's default to yes. Sometimes I set it to 'no' and I'm fairly sure that If you do it, you'll get many symbols of your civilisation/trees/fruits etc. on engravings instead of historical events.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 07:44:17 am »

It would be nice to have some more control over engravings and art objects, though I'm not sure what kind of UI would be functional when there are literally hundreds of thousands of choices. Maybe some kind of legends viewer where you could sort events and entities and then pick?

I'd love to engrave my temple with images of the god its dedicated to, and have a 'hall of memories' where important fortress events are memorialized