Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Joining the Navy?  (Read 2633 times)

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Joining the Navy?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 06:33:09 pm »

You don't have to be that tough to join the Navy. It's not the marine corps. Don't worry about your toughness. Bootcamp can be rough but almost everyone makes it through.

The real question is what the heck else are you going to do? If you don't have anything going on worth bragging about then you should go for it.

Also what's this about bullies? Man that's high school shit. But I'm a different generation, 36 now, so maybe it's a concern nowadays but in my day bullies in the military were not a concern.

People are telling you that you aren't tough enough? Screw them. The navy will toughen you up. So will moving out of the house and becoming a independent person. But the Navy is a solid choice.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:35:57 pm by Jo »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 08:28:32 pm »

Sister has just went to C school, closets to bullies she's seen are idiots who think they are the shit and never shut up.

IIRC all branches speak heavily against harassment of any kind, I've been on several bases (at least one from each branch) and I remember seeing anti harassment/rape/assault posters one every couple walls
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 09:24:54 pm »

Yeah, there are always programs and such, and idiots are all over not just the Navy. Seriously, if you made it through junior high you won't have a problem in the Navy.

If you do just punch the shit out of the fucker. I know that sounds violent, but it'll be broken up in about 10 seconds and no one will ever mess with you again.

Worked for me. :-)

But seriously it's not enough of a problem to even be part of the decision making process.

I envy you. Wish I were doing it all again. What great times I had!

EDIT: Don't smoke any weed. Don't drive even if you've had one drink. That's the sort of thing that can fuck you at this point. I know these are things your dumbass teachers tell you, but screw them. In your case it's true, you can mess up your military gig if you get a DUI or pop hot for weed. So just dont'. I'm not a moral person (I noticed your are religious), I'm telling you this as a sort of cause and effect warning. Right/Wrong aside, you can get booted for weed/dui.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:34:04 pm by Jo »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 09:36:50 pm »

Leave punching the guy for last resort unless you want to explain yourself at captains mass though
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 10:29:01 pm »

Gotta go brother. I don't come around much, just happened to see your posts.

Good luck with your life. It's going to be awesome. You won't realize at the time sometimes, but when you are telling stories later and all the other dudes are listening you'll know what I'm saying.

Peace.

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 11:06:11 pm »

Ex-Air Force here.

My advice to you is the same as what I give to anyone else who's considering joining the military.
Do it.
There are times when it's going to suck. Don't let anyone ever tell you that there aren't.
But in the end, it's so worth it.
I'm a better person than I was when I first enlisted. I'm more confident, more physically fit, and better mannered than I was when I went in.
But who you are doesn't change. It only strengthens you, smooths out the edges.
My other piece of advice is to take your time and pick your jobs carefully. You want to make sure that you only have down jobs that you actually want. If you don't know what a job is, look it up first. You might decide to make a career out of it, so make sure that you're happy with your choices.

As for people joining because they have nowhere else to go, not as much as you'd think.
Sure, there are some jerks, but no more than any other job... most of the people I met in Tech School were decent enough.
Pages: 1 [2]