Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Material value vs preferences  (Read 1715 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Material value vs preferences
« on: May 12, 2015, 03:43:22 pm »

I was planning on putting cabinets, tables and chairs in my dwarves' rooms. Now I was wondering, would they get a greater good thought when I used their preferred material, or would high-value furniture make them happier?

For example, a dwarf likes bronze (but not electrum).
Will he be happier about having bronze furniture in his room, or will he be happier about the higher valued electrum (or even gold)?

Or am I misunderstanding something here?

(Isn't there some thread for such small questions?
I feel like I've got a lot of these and don't want to make a thread for each...)
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Material value vs preferences
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 03:49:00 pm »

You are kind of right, while I don't have the numbers a dwarf will generally prefer to have things made of their favored material, and will value them more highly than objects not made from that material.  There is a point where this becomes irrelevant, such as when you are making furniture from pure gold, platinum, aluminum, steel, or Adamantine, as these metals have vastly higher base values than other metals.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:11:41 pm »

In older versions, I know preferences would produce items at ~+1-2 skill levels better - routinely higher % of better quality products.

I always assumed it was about the same when viewed - so a  Superior Marble Chair becomes Exceptional for any dwarf who likes chairs or marble. This ~seemed~ to be supported by good thoughts of a better magnitude, but I don't have any hard numbers to back it up.

And, again, that was several versions ago, so, for whatever that's worth... :/

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:59:00 am »

Yeah, I read about products being better if a dwarf prefers the thing he's creating.
I just wondered how it affected the perceived value of items for people who prefer them or their material...

But yeah, I also assumed that gold, for example, is just that much more valuable, that, even compared to prefered materials, it still gives better thoughts to the dwarf.

Well, I could go around and see which dwarf prefers high value materials and give them that, but I'm a bit too lazy and got just a bit too much gold for that, so I guess I'll just give them all gold cabinets and tables, hope that makes them happy.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:47:21 pm »

There are 2 things going on here:

(Edit - wrong. see below)

For walking past a general item, it's not the Value, but the Quality that gives good thoughts. So you could spam low-quality gold items with very little result as far as that's concerned*, but one Masterwork Pine Table could make every dwarf's day!

I"m pretty confident in this b/c the "thoughts" always read something like... "Urist was pleased to see a Masterwork Table" - no mention of Material or Value.

If a dwarf prefers Gold, that might(?) improve the perceived Quality - but otherwise look for Quality, not Value.

*However, dwarfs also get excited about having high-value rooms assigned to them. So, yeah, if that's the goal, the stuff it with Gold, and call it good (tho' if you can achieve both, so much the better!).

Also note that at some point a room is as good as it gets, and that's that - stuffing even more into it won't change anything.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:24:44 pm by Albedo »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 06:28:34 pm »

For walking past a general item, it's not the Value, but the Quality that gives good thoughts. So you could spam low-quality gold items with very little result as far as that's concerned*, but one Masterwork Pine Table could make every dwarf's day!
Sorry, but this is wrong - the game most definitely uses the item's perceived value to determine the strength of the thought, both in 0.23.130.23a and 0.40.24.

Specifically, the thought contains the building's value (capped at 20,000☼), and the happiness boost is simply "min(5, value / 128 + 1)" (1-5, corresponding to "fine", "very fine", "splendid", "wonderful", and "completely sublime") multiplied based on whether it was "own" and/or "tastefully arranged".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:29:21 pm »

Yeah, the item's actual value is absolutely what's checked, not its "quality". The thought descriptors don't actually match the quality titles, either: "perfectly sublime" for example. As for raw value vs preference, it's been pretty covered. Basically preference increases value, but if they prefer something crappy it may not be enough to matter. When in doubt, make it out of gold is my standard operating procedure.

tldr; dwarfs only care about that $$, material girls
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:31:28 pm by smithist »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 11:13:55 am »

Sorry, but this is wrong - the game most definitely uses the item's perceived value to determine the strength of the thought, both in 0.23.130.23a and 0.40.24.

Specifically, the thought contains the building's value (capped at 20,000☼), and the happiness boost is simply "min(5, value / 128 + 1)" (1-5, corresponding to "fine", "very fine", "splendid", "wonderful", and "completely sublime") multiplied based on whether it was "own" and/or "tastefully arranged".

So, what are are saying is, that all of these massive dining rooms actually cap themselves, and its better to create several smaller ones? Is there a way to see the value of the room?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 12:22:37 pm »

I know there is at least used to be a way, but I don't remember it. (Someone else may.)

And I'm not sure what you mean by "better",  but at some point, yes, you are only adding to the wealth of the fortress and not the quality of the already-max-quality room.

Sorry, but this is wrong ...

Hmmm - so much of the basic game precepts has changed since I last played. My bad,will edit,thx!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:27:58 pm by Albedo »