Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a WorldGen setting which controls FBs?  (Read 1135 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Is there a WorldGen setting which controls FBs?
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:02:05 pm »

I ask b/c I just now realized that 5 years into my Fortress, I have not seen a single beast, and I am worried I may have accidentally tweaked a spawn rate or some such.  I am aware of the problem with sieges, but was under the impression that Forgotten Beasts are infinite.

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a WorldGen setting which controls FBs?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:18:07 pm »

Hmm it's either the megabeast or titan settings. The wiki is a bit vauge as it seems to say FB's are both titans and megabeasts though  ???

Scratch that.

From the wiki:
Titan Parameters

Number

This controls the number of titans that exist at the beginning of historydata. The number of forgotten beasts is unaffected by this parameter

Are you sure you meet the attack criteria if you've altered those?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:23:42 pm by synyster31 »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:27:53 pm »

So that eliminates the Titan setting.  As to Megabeasts, I thought that classification was specifically creatures like Bronze Colossus, Dragon, etc.

Edit: The Titan/Mega/Semi-Mega settings are definitely on the low end.  However, I have seen a few Semi-Megas; 2 Etins & a Minotaur, all of which were promptly destroyed by the zombie army currently occupying my Caverns (long story).  I found the creature listing for those categories, and nothing to indicate that FBs are in any way related; http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature#Semi-Megabeasts
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:32:57 pm by Immortal-D »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:31:45 pm »

No, there is no way to control FB numbers except world size, anything larger than small (i.e. medium or larger), will have one thousand (1000) FBs, I can't remember how many there will be on smaller worlds right now.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 05:35:18 pm »

No, there is no way to control FB numbers except world size, anything larger than small (i.e. medium or larger), will have one thousand (1000) FBs, I can't remember how many there will be on smaller worlds right now.
Ah, good to know.  My world is 90:90, definitely large enough.  I wonder then, if using a non-listed World Size value could have screwed up something?

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:40:33 pm »

I was referring to the Megabeast, Titan and FB wiki pages, they seem a bit contradicting.

I've scanned the Advanced Worldgen wiki and I can't see anything relating to FB number

Hmm maybe that could do with being in the worldgen wiki somewhere?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:44:00 pm by synyster31 »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:46:48 pm »

Mega beasts are pre-defined surface monsters such as dragons, rocs, hydra, bronze collosi, etc.  Titans are procedurally generated surface beings of huge size and power, Forgotten beasts are the same as titans but live in the caverns (meaning they rarely have any historical events associated with them.)  And the clowns are basically an unlimited number of FBs with legendary weapon skills and [CAN_LEARN].
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:07:53 pm »

1. Clowns aren't legendary, just skilled
2. Not all clowns can speak or learn

FB count is determined solely by world size.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 04:20:08 am »

FBs aren't infinit. When I play a small world, there are usually only 20-30 fbs, most of which are *roasted* in the first few years of the fortress.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:39:24 am »

I think it's tied to the number of underground regions (i.e., world size.) Not sure how many FBs each region gets, or if they can migrate.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:07:17 pm »

All FBs are in all regions. After revealing hell, FBs can show up there.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 06:34:14 pm »

I think it's tied to the number of underground regions (i.e., world size.) Not sure how many FBs each region gets, or if they can migrate.
My experience has been: One Forgotten Beast is generated per underground region.

If your world has one underground region, you get one FB.  If your world has 10 underground regions, you get 10FB's.  FB's can migrate, and will, throughout the entire connected underground caverns.  Eventually, given enough time, you can kill them all, at least, those that can move once they enter the map. :D

IIRC, You can see the underground regions in the Legends viewer.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 07:11:32 pm »

Checked my Legends; I do indeed have Underground Regions, and according to the log there should be ~80 or so FBs.  Seems kinda small for a 90x90 world, but whatever.  Point being, they are definitely alive and kicking.  Everywhere except my Fortress, apparently ::)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 09:15:31 pm »

Export the region maps for the underground and make sure they overlap in places.

Cerbsen

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 03:13:47 pm »

I ask b/c I just now realized that 5 years into my Fortress, I have not seen a single beast, and I am worried I may have accidentally tweaked a spawn rate or some such.  I am aware of the problem with sieges, but was under the impression that Forgotten Beasts are infinite.

World Size
limits maximum number of forgotten beasts, ...

each world size has a fixed number of forgotten beasts at the beginning of year one. ( 12 / 27 / 75 / 243 / 867 )

or

Code: [Select]
pocket  - [DIM:17:17]    # of FB: 12
smaller - [DIM:33:33]    # of FB: 27
small   - [DIM:65:65]    # of FB: 75
medium  - [DIM:129:129]  # of FB: 243
large   - [DIM:257:257]  # of FB: 867
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:54:42 pm by Cerbsen »