Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [adventure] cannot take quests?  (Read 1085 times)

healhound

• Bay Watcher
  • serious enough
    • View Profile
[adventure] cannot take quests?
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:15:49 am »

I understand this was asked a time or two, but I've found no working solutions for this problem.

How do I complete (or even take) the kill-somebody quests in adventure mode? I ask a noble about troubles, then ask about bandits, then go kill the bandits, then return and receive "this was inevitable" upon telling the same (although I've heard it mustn't necessarily be the same person) noble that I have killed these guys. Nothing was ever mentioned of a quest of any sort. I remember that some time ago I managed to do this and got some fame increment, but not a single time ever since.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [adventure] cannot take quests?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:00:18 am »

I've far as I understand the new system, all you can do now is spread stories of your success. The game will then abstractly begin spreading this story throughout town until a decent chunk of the population is aware of your actions. Not that it really has an impact, but still.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

healhound

• Bay Watcher
  • serious enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »

Thanks, that's something i've never heard of. Does it mean I will get the fame increase when a "decent chunk of the population" learns of my deed?

Anyway, this seems weird, because I managed to officially complete a quest earlier in the same version.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:01:25 pm by healhound »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:16:27 am »

What do you mean by "complete"? Did the quest giver say something special?

From my understanding, "fame", as it stands now, is just other civ members being aware of your actions, for better or worse.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

healhound

• Bay Watcher
  • serious enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 02:51:19 pm »

What do you mean by "complete"? Did the quest giver say something special?
Yep. I don't remember exact words, but it was an explicit expression of gratitude, surely not one of these "inevitable" strings.

I guess we shouldn't pay too much attention to all this, since fame isn't a real benefit (as you said) and all the fun comes from slaying things and exploring the world. Adventure mode feels like a severely handicapped demo of a live D&D session, but I'm sure it will see better times.

EDIT: but still there are things like titles, which can be earned. When I apply for those, they say I'm not worthy, which implies there are ways of becoming worthy. And I know none, except for quests.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:55:47 pm by healhound »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 03:30:19 pm »

Sadly, I'm not an expert on Adventure mode. I'd just keep doing quests, spreading the news and hope for the best.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:58:32 am »

I assume you just thought that a happy reaction is a "completion" of the quest. Technically it's the same as "it was inevitable" response, and is solely based on the reaction of the person towards the event. Usually most of the folks don't care about other folks, so unless there was a personal hate or fear, I doubt you would get something besides "it was inevitable" (which means that the person you talk to has no personal opinion on the situation) in most of the scenarios.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository