Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Dwarves Humping Minecart  (Read 496 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Dwarves Humping Minecart
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:34:40 pm »

I've built working minecart tracks before and don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I have a minecart sitting on top of a track stop, with 'guide south when full of items'.  It is set to accept metal ores, and sitting next to a metal ore stockpile which it is linked to take from.

Dwarves are constantly walking up to it with 'load item in vehicle' jobs, but dump the ore one tile away from it.

What stupid mistake did I do this time?  :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:49:11 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Humping Minecart
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:46:07 pm »

I put the 'load' stop one extra tile away from the minecart, and now it is being loaded.  I guess that's a gotcha people should watch for.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Humping Minecart
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:55:56 pm »

I didn't understand your explanation of the problem, but a common issue is to try to combine the arrival dumping track stop with a route stop for departure. That causes the track stop to dump everything loaded into it.
If you use an automated system (rollers or impulse ramps to drive the carts) a dumping arrival track stop can be set up with limited breaking and the track continuing to a loading track stop with full breaking. That way the arriving cart will dump its contents and continue to roll to the departure stop (which coincides with a route stop with departure conditions). I assume the same logic (sans the track stop friction) applies to guided carts as well.
Well, that works if the cart speed is suitable. I've had them getting too high a speed, so they just dump and move straight forward rather than turning along the path. Reducing the speed solved that, though.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Dwarves Humping Minecart
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:01:39 pm »

you know...  I didn't mean to, but it's possible I made that track stop for dumping.  O_o  Good call.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Dwarves Humping Minecart
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 02:46:21 am »

If you're using DFHack, one of its plugins allows you to change the properties of a track stop (dump direction [including none], as well as brake effect). Using vanilla you have to dismantle and rebuild to change the properties, and you cannot view them.