Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Covert education games  (Read 9908 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Covert education games
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2015, 05:27:19 pm »

Orbiter has teached me a lot about how to waste as few fuel as possible to get to orbit and dock to ISS.

It's very interesting to see how incredibly fast you can waste everything you have because of a slightly too high or low ascending angle at a specific altitude and ruin all your chances to ever come back (assuming you manage to save enough to get a correct orbit to allow you to reach ISS) .

Not that this knowledge will ever serve me IRL unfortunately, as i doubt anyone in his sane mind will give me command over a space ship :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:30:31 pm by Robsoie »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2015, 05:51:33 pm »

But we tend to learn spurious things from computer games. Perhaps not what was intended to be taught either.

Boxcar2d: I learned some of the basis of the current debate (or past? Is it over yet?) between evolution and intelligent design and the fact that there may be room for a little of both in a well designed boxcar. Assuming intelligent design means wiping the slate clean with a random meteor or putting something really weird into the mix occasionally, just to see what happens. Oh, and balance points, weight, structural integrity and "fitness" of a form for a particular function or situation.
www.boxcar2d.com/

All the "Code up an AI robot games", Robocode for example: Some basic Java programming and how the oddest things work sometimes. Semi-immergant  actions and reactions in a controlled environment. Just how little I actually do with my time on this earth.
http://robocode.sourceforge.net/
It's a game. Have fun.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2015, 05:55:11 pm »

But we tend to learn spurious things from computer games. Perhaps not what was intended to be taught either.

Boxcar2d: I learned some of the basis of the current debate (or past? Is it over yet?) between evolution and intelligent design and the fact that there may be room for a little of both in a well designed boxcar. Assuming intelligent design means wiping the slate clean with a random meteor or putting something really weird into the mix occasionally, just to see what happens. Oh, and balance points, weight, structural integrity and "fitness" of a form for a particular function or situation.
www.boxcar2d.com/
Thanks for sharing this interesting little website.

I don't see, though, how it teaches anything about the "debate".

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:46 pm »

If were God, I'd have more wheels. And the landscape would be rougher. My cars would be stronger and more powerful, for I alone designed them.

I would have more meteors, soon to become meteorites, too.

And as such, I am neither an intelligent designer, nor God.
It's a game. Have fun.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:11 pm »

Halo learned me some color theory, by total accident. I noticed that blue blood from Grunts and orange blood from Hunters was really pretty splattered all over the ground, red Elites looked cool on green grass, Chief's orange visor against the green armor, etc. etc.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2015, 06:49:39 pm »

Kerbal Space Program.
Even though I didn't go after formulas and numbers (except for Delta-V and a few other things), I got to know..What Delta-V even was!
And how the hell orbits and transfers worked. And a bunch of other stuff that gave me a more intuitive knowledge of such things, that really made it easier to learn real physics and stuff.

Europa Universalis/Civilization and similar games made me know or at least get a general idea of geographical stuff.

Assassins Creed III gave me a lot of insight in American history, given that I'm not from the US. Even though people say the game butchers history, the codex is generally written in a pretty fun and interesting way, which made me constantly go fact check and get interested. That applies to all the AC games I played, actually (up to AC4)

And in a different note, Altair from ACI actually made me think on a lot of stuff and kind of change as a person. He's one of my favorite fiction character ever, for some reason.
-- OBS: Even if Ubisoft keeps destroying the franchise for money, Altair will still be a favorite.  :P

There are definitely way more, but I guess all of those and more have been mentioned already.

EDIT:
Oh yeah. Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142.
I loved to play as a commander. No commander would properly use their mic and orders/scan/supply drop correctly (at least in my view). I very rarely lost a match as commander.
I learned very quickly how to talk with very different kinds of people, and how to "persuade" them to do what you are "ordering" in a videogame.
You'd be surprised by how many people will get pissed of you for simply giving a "Take this point" order, or "Stop Spawn Camping and Defend Our Base" order. By simply changing my tone and choice of words, I'd make even the most rebellous annoying people do what they should be doing and turn over apparently unwinnable games.
My most favorite moments would be when I got to join a losing team in a random server which the commander ragequits or gets a mutiny vote passed. Then I'd rush in and save it.
Ohhh the nostalgia. It was my golden FPS days really :')
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:55:09 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2015, 11:05:01 am »

Influent and its language packs are half off for the next 24 hours (9AM PST) at Humble Bundle Store.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:11:35 pm by BigD145 »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2015, 01:09:28 pm »

Very first game where i learned something non related to game was uncharted water: New Horizon, man did i sink hours in that game, but i then learned a lot about this era history, name figures, who did what and stuff, one day i went to my history class and the subject was exactly that era and cartography. I was playing Von esrnt bon or something? Ernst von Bohr the real name, anyway the character first name was bogus but last name did have root in the history and mercator was a real cartographer.

So i started talking about how life was back then with the scurvy, how logistic could sometime be a bitch and also some random event the game would throw at us that had root in the real life event too such as the top of the mast lighting up like a christmas tree due to static electricity or something? i dont remember exactly.

And countless other games such as age of sail cities of abandoned ship for a bit of *how could life be in carrabean*, ship size, name, classification etc.

All in all, i learned as much playing games than going to school alone, and im talking REAL games not call of warfare 72 and clones.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]