Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves not making alcohol  (Read 1829 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
dwarves not making alcohol
« on: May 09, 2015, 10:45:29 am »

I have my still and my plants set up, but when I go to brew or extract it doesn't work, i even have a field full of plump helmets and others with sweet pods. It keeps telling me that there is no non rotten plants when I go to extract from plants.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves not making alcohol
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 01:29:21 pm »

Are you sure  you have these plants in your stockpiles, and that you gave your dwarves the permission to brew drink from them?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 01:34:01 pm »

Are you sure  you have these plants in your stockpiles, and that you gave your dwarves the permission to brew drink from them?
yes I have stock pile linked directly to the still right next to it filled with plump helmets, I have cooking disabled to them and brewing enabled (in blue on cooking tab). I don't know if they  are continually being moved around from one stock pile to the other since I have the stock pile next to the still taking from all the others. The stock pile next to the still only has brew able items in it, extracts from plants, and drinks
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 01:41:16 pm »

You should check if the stuff  in the stockpiles is being moved, maybe the brewer tries to get something and it Gets moved

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 01:44:47 pm »

You should check if the stuff  in the stockpiles is being moved, maybe the brewer tries to get something and it Gets moved
I did, everything is being moved around to barrels and then those barrels get moved to a different one to be with the rest of the barrels containing the same item that then gets moved to a bin  that gets moved to a barrel that by that point  is moved back and the original task canceled and the plump helmets are missing in a  maze of reorganization. shouldn't have built so many barrels and bins. somewhere in my fortress there are 81 plump helmets and 32 sweet pods.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 01:59:36 pm »

I didnt understand shit, but that's probably the problem. About how to fix it, no idea

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »

I didnt understand shit, but that's probably the problem. About how to fix it, no idea
basically the plump helmets keep getting moved around from stock pile to stock pile, bin to bin, barrel to barrel
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »

Something is odd if you've got food in bins. Food is either stored directly in a food stockpile, or in barrels (and large pots). It somehow sounds like you've linked stockpiles in a circular fashion as well. Also note that if you've linked a food stockpile to the still, you'll also have to link a barrel/pot stockpile to it as well, or it won't be able to get a container to store the resultant booze in.
Nowadays I use a quantum stockpile for all my brewable and threshable plants (and I put thread and cloth in there as well, since the clothing industry is kept together with the raw material production).

Storing stuff in barrels (as well as in bins) should be done with caution, since the work of putting stuff in blocks the access from getting stuff out. I use bins only for stuff that's to be hauled to the trade depot for disposal (worn socks, inferior quality clothing, trade junk[scepters, rings...])

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 03:07:31 pm »

Something is odd if you've got food in bins. Food is either stored directly in a food stockpile, or in barrels (and large pots). It somehow sounds like you've linked stockpiles in a circular fashion as well. Also note that if you've linked a food stockpile to the still, you'll also have to link a barrel/pot stockpile to it as well, or it won't be able to get a container to store the resultant booze in.
Nowadays I use a quantum stockpile for all my brewable and threshable plants (and I put thread and cloth in there as well, since the clothing industry is kept together with the raw material production).

Storing stuff in barrels (as well as in bins) should be done with caution, since the work of putting stuff in blocks the access from getting stuff out. I use bins only for stuff that's to be hauled to the trade depot for disposal (worn socks, inferior quality clothing, trade junk[scepters, rings...])
ok well it seems my dwarves have sorted the stuff out I got rid of them all and reddid the stock piles  and re linked them all to the stills, and the dwarves stopped putting them in bins. I just wonder why my barrels aren't working, how do I set the barrels to the still as you described above.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 05:46:14 pm »

Since I rarely link stockpiles to workshops I'm not too familiar with it. The problem is to figure out what kind of stockpile unallocated barrels go into, which I think is Finished Goods, and barrels (as well as large pots) don't have any individual sub setting to block them from being stored in some stockpiles but not in others. The wiki probably has info on this.

Generally, linking stockpiles to workshops cause a lot of trouble for fairly little benefit. The main reason to do linking is to control exactly what kind of items you use, such as ensuring the mason makes the chests out of Orthoclase, or control what items are encrusted with what gems. If you use DFHack the Alt-a command allows you to control what material to use, which I find much more convenient than stockpile linking.
While writing this, I realize I would have one useful use for it: to allow the Loom(s) to automatically allocate cloth making tasks as thread is produced, but still block adamantine thread from being wasted on cloth.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 02:37:34 pm »

Large pots and barrels are furniture.  I usually also do the dfhack method, tied with workflow to make sure that there are always enough seeds and booze to keep everything running.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 03:19:23 pm »

Yah I finaly got it working, I also had to make barrels and stuff, like a lot and move my stills closer to the food stock pile.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 04:38:14 pm »

If you have the brewable plants stockpile linked to your Brewery, you also need to have a barrel stockpile linked to the brewery (I believe) or else the dwarf won't be able to find any barrels to use, although you seem to have found your solution.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 06:31:58 am »

If you have the brewable plants stockpile linked to your Brewery, you also need to have a barrel stockpile linked to the brewery (I believe) or else the dwarf won't be able to find any barrels to use, although you seem to have found your solution.
Yah that's what ended up happening
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!