Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Free Rockers: Manly Asteroid Miners in the 31st Century  (Read 969 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Art by Nat White

A party of brave miners set out with a guild-subsidized ship, some hand-me-down equipment, and what meager supplies they could buy, beg, or steal. Their goal was to create a free port, a place where miners could escape from the abuse suffered at the hands of the galactic governments. They were known as:

THE FREE ROCKERS
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:19:56 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The Free Rockers: Asteroid Miners in the 31st Century
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 04:13:34 pm »

Rules
- At the start of each cycle (turn), power is produced by power plants, all refinery space is freed, each habitat consumes 1 unit of breathing mix, each person consumes 1 unit of water and food.
- If there isn't enough breathing mix for a habitat, the inhabitants suffocate and die. Persons who go without either their food ration for seven, or their water ration for three cycles will die.
- At the end of every cycle everyone should to return to a habitat with space. If someone doesn't have access to a habitat, then the next cycle they'll become fatigued, and won't be able to perform any work until they rest.
- If there is a deficit of power, the player must shut down enough structures to make up the deficit. Buildings cannot run on partial power.
- Every five cycles (a quincycle) a Hegemony starship arrives to pick up materials to be sold, and drops off items scheduled to be bought. Other merchant starships who are attracted to your free mining port might operate on different schedules. Ships will come more often if you have a laser-launch satellite.
- Every five cycles (a quincycle) you must pay each person their salary. If a person hasn't been paid for three quincycles, they will quit and leave.

Element Tables and Mining Mechanics
Mining has three stages: harvesters need to collect regolith or drill for metals/volatiles, an auxiliary vehicle needs to take the material to a cargo ship, then the cargo ship either needs to rendezvous with a spaceport or ship to store the materal, or a merchant starship to sell it's payload.

When you mine a unit of ore I roll a d100 and, based on the probabilities for that asteroid, that ore either becomes a Precious Metal (P), a Common Metal (C), a Fissionable (F), or a Volatile (V). Then I roll again using the appropriate table to see what kind of element that ore becomes. The number beside each element represents the chance out of 100 that the ore becomes that type of element. Acquiring regolith is a guarantee, except on D-type asteroids, where there's a 5 percent chance of getting phosphorous instead.

Spoiler: Precious Metals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Common Metals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fissionables (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Volatiles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Regolith (click to show/hide)

Asteroids by Commonality
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 02:16:26 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:58:41 pm »

Still working on some things, like prices of imports and items you can sell, as well as stuff you can build.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:48:04 pm »

PTW so I can read when less exhausted.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:49:59 pm »

There isn't much to read yet. PTW also.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:18:27 pm »

TURN 1
The mothership arrives, after a several month journey, in an asteroid belt somewhere in the Y galaxy. Ocher Coopita, the hairy-chested leader of the Free Miners, orders the others to search for nearby asteroids using telescopes. They soon find one.

"Aha! A daring place to start our new lives as free men!" He said boisterously, puffing on an e-cigar in manly fashion.

"Verily, ser!" Xan Stevemy guffawed, giving his captain a hearty slap on the back, which he returned. "We shall conquer these neutral mountains in space, rip out their huge metallic guts, and sell them to the government traders without tariff!"

Quote from: ALERTS
Mothership has arrived in The Oort Cloud!
The Free Miners want to rename The Oort Cloud!
S-type Asteroid located!

Code: (Galactic Calender) [Select]
Quincycle 1/20, Greater Cycle 3067
1 2 3 4 5
- - - - -
|

The Port
Ships

Asteroids

Mothership Storage [Total Space/Used Space: 2000/402]
Spoiler: Precious Metals (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Common Metals (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Volatiles (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Regolith (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Refined Elements (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vehicles (2) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other (450) (click to show/hide)

HK9891 Storage [Total Space/Used Space: 0/0]
Spoiler: Precious Metals (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Common Metals (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Volatiles (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Regolith (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Refined Elements (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vehicles (0) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other (0) (click to show/hide)

Other Resources

Personnel [Total: 5]

Recipes
Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vehicles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Structures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Components (click to show/hide)

Imports

Actions
Refine/Reduce Element [1 power and 1 refinery space per unit]
Assemble Component [1 power and 1 factory space per unit]
Run Vehicle [requires one available person per vehicle used, -1 power per vehicle run for this cycle]
Move Ship [requires one available person per ship moved, -1 propellant for each time the ship changes location]
Scout for Asteroids [same costs as Move Ship; chance to discover a new asteroid: 1% (chance increases every time you scout)]
Build Structure [requires one available person + construction suit per building]
Buy Items [requires visiting starships]
Sell Items [requires visiting starships or a mass driver]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 02:21:23 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: The Free Rockers: Manly Asteroid Miners in the 31st Century
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:23:27 pm »

Assuming I got this right..

Dogod Oean: Board cargo shuttle, move to asteroid
Gigard Shepla: Board harvester, move to cargo shuttle
Ocher Coopita: Board transport, move to cargo shuttle

And otherwise, load Cargo shuttle with 2 cycles worth of food/water/air
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The Free Rockers: Manly Asteroid Miners in the 31st Century
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 02:17:33 am »

And otherwise, load Cargo shuttle with 2 cycles worth of food/water/air
Added a new rule:
- At the end of every cycle everyone should to return to a habitat with space. If someone doesn't have access to a habitat, then the next cycle they'll become fatigued, and won't be able to perform any work until they rest.

I'll give the mothership more propellant as it seems you'll be making a lot of trips until you can get some facilities on the asteroid. The vehicles don't need to be returned to the mothership to recharge or anything, their power is beamed to them via microwave.

The mothership's facilities don't draw on power. Other ships with portable facilities won't need power as long as they have propellant.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 02:20:42 am by GUNINANRUNIN »