Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horror and Vomit  (Read 776 times)

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horror and Vomit
« on: May 07, 2015, 05:39:28 am »

Just a curiosity more than anything: I've noticed the above-ground outside area of my fort is rapidly getting covered in vomit for reasons unknown.

Originally I thought it was something to do with hunting (since the bolts frequently seem to hit animals in the stomach and cause vomit), but I've since discounted that since most hunting is going on in the caverns at the moment.

Outside I have the entrance to my fort, some workshops and storage piles, my trade depot and a refuse pile. The refuse pile is in the middle, but has no miasma. Even so, the skulls piled there are covered in vomit, as are the finished goods next to them, the drawbridge entrance and the entire corridor leading into the fort.

Even the road I built miles away leading to the edge of the map has been liberally sprinkled with "vomit piles"!

I've also noticed that sometimes upon storing stuff outside, otherwise happy Dwarves will inexplicably stop because they are "horrified". When I check their emotions, usually they all suffer from being horrified by the death of a cave ogre years ago, but that's about it.

Any idea what's going on? :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horror and Vomit
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 05:57:18 am »

Yes, both issues have explanations :)

- The vomit is caused by "cave adaptation". Dorfs who have spent enough time underground will get sickened by sunlight. It's curable by spending lots of times outdoors, but it's not fatal. I just ignore it. Checking the wiki for "cave adaptation" should give more info.
- The "horrified" problem is caused by dorfs seeing remains of "sentient" beings in your refuse pile. These remains will also cause caravan members that see them to dump what they're carrying and flee, bringing the rest of the caravan with them without any notice. Seeing remains is reported as seeing the being get killed, even if the death happened years ago out of sight of the sufferer.
The solution to this problem is to dispose of "sentient" remains such that they won't be seen. This can be done via atom smashing, magma, or a pit in the ground. You can dump the remains, or build a separate "sentient" refuse pile (which is a fair bit of work, because there are many "sentient" species, and several refuse categories [at lease corpse under refuse and body parts under refuse]. Also, titans/forgotten beasts are not included in any accessible refuse stockpile setting, so if you use a "sentient" refuse stockpile to dump into magma, you may want to ensure they're sent to the regular pile by first "block all" and then add each of the "sentient" species you have encountered, and then, of course, remove those from the regular pile).
The reason I quote "sentient" is that creatures such as Reachers are included, even though their intelligence seems to be rudimentary at best.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 01:04:06 am »

Cave adaptation can be pretty fatal for soldiers, though, so if you plan to have them fight above ground it's best to have them train there, too.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:50:53 am »

Or you can build a big roof.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 11:26:53 am »

Ahhh okay. Thanks for explaining. I knew Cave Adaption made 'em dizzy but didn't realise they'd all start spewing everywhere XD

I guess I'll dig a huge chasm and have an open-air dining room or something :D

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 02:44:32 pm »

Well, the chasmic dining room can very well be transformed into a dining room for a flying Titan. Also, flying annoyances such as thieving Keas would get in and steal stuff.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:33:59 pm »

If you reclaim a pregenned fort, you will find that on the top level they have an enormous roof.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.