Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did.... did it just explode?  (Read 2066 times)

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did.... did it just explode?
« on: May 12, 2015, 11:59:16 am »

So I just started a new fortress, and I followed the 40d quickstart guide on the wiki (which I just now noticed is a bit outdated) because it's been a long time since I last played, so I find a starting sight with medium evil and savagery and stuff, and I start doing things. I barely designated some mining and tree chopping and suddenly I get a message saying that one of my dogs was found dead. So I go to the place, and I find a giant pile of blood and there's nothing near that could have done that. My imagination says it just exploded from the stress of moving and not having an owner yet, but I"m intersted if anyone can tell me what happaned most likely

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did.... did it just explode?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 12:08:41 pm »

Press 'r' for combat records, up and down to select, then enter to view.  Maybe your dog got attacked by a falling tree, or some flying creature.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:18:29 pm »

Does it still work even if I've already closed the game? This happened a couple of days ago, and I've started building since then. Well I'll try it  hopefully I can still see it.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 12:26:47 pm »

It will still have some recent records if it hasn't been too long, though may not be able to zoom to them anymore.

You can see when combat announcements appear because a red 'r' appears in the upper left.  Annoncements are a green A, and accessed with 'a', but those show at the bottom of the screen briefly anyway.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 12:49:54 pm »

Check the unit lists for wild animals- undead creatures will agressively attack you whereas nnormal versions tend to mind their own business.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:31:51 pm »

If you have DFHack, you can also put your curse over the corpse, and type "deathcause" into the DFHack console.  It will return the (very) general method of demise said creature suffered. 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 03:39:48 pm »

Stealthed creatures will do that too. Let me tell ya.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 04:38:03 pm »

Even unstealthed creatures can do that.  Only the butcher shop gives you 'struck down' messages anymore.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 06:17:12 pm »

Or flying creatures - hit and run tactics, they have no honour.

Whenever I pause the game to do other stuff, I religiously try to hit the {u}nits screen and slide over to "Other" to see if I'm not noticing anything unpleasant (or just tasty) that's appeared on the map. The "dead/missing" column becomes helpful too, esp late when your population and messages get a bit overwhelming.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:34 pm »

Yeah, leaving DF idling is generally a very bad idea. I always check the other screen from experience of giant gray langurs or keas storming in and ripping everyone's hands off.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 10:29:54 pm »

Does it still work even if I've already closed the game? This happened a couple of days ago, and I've started building since then. Well I'll try it  hopefully I can still see it.
There should be a gamelog.txt too.

Also dogs have a habit to fight wild animals, which can be annoying when you just want peace.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 04:02:54 am »

Yeah, leaving DF idling is generally a very bad idea. I always check the other screen from experience of giant gray langurs or keas storming in and ripping everyone's hands off.

Soundsense is the best thing ever.

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 09:45:35 am »

There should be a gamelog.txt too.

Also dogs have a habit to fight wild animals, which can be annoying when you just want peace.
Oh, there is. I found out happened. An alligator attacked my farmer, who ran away then it attacked my dog too. It was a long and painful fight, the poor dog had to suffer a lot even after having his motor nerve severed. Well, the story is not as extraordinary as mine, but setting up camp and having an alligator attacking immediately is interesting too :D