Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eternal flame?  (Read 1039 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eternal flame?
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:50:03 pm »

So a dragon visited my fort. He set a good portion of my forest on fire before getting trapped in a wooden cage which, well, he also set on fire. The cage and a few other objects (several logs, a left lower leg, a few items of clothing) have been burning for roughly a year now. How long until the fire dies down and I can do something with my caged dragon? The cage is blocking access to my trade depot!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:08:33 pm by satan »
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eternal flame?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 03:32:09 pm »

I believe the cage will burn until the fire destroys the cage, letting out the dragon. I don't know for sure how long that will take, but some objects can burn for a very long time before being destroyed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:27:02 pm »

And artifacts will burn forever, since they cannot be destroyed by fire. Dousing the cage with water ought to put out the fire, at least if you submerge it. I suspect just dumping water on it will work as well.
When it comes to unblocking the passage, it should just be a matter of digging around it.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 11:22:46 am »

And artifacts will burn forever, since they cannot be destroyed by fire. Dousing the cage with water ought to put out the fire, at least if you submerge it. I suspect just dumping water on it will work as well.
When it comes to unblocking the passage, it should just be a matter of digging around it.

How would I dump water on it?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 11:35:56 am »

Either through a complicated series pipelines and pumps with a source of water, or through DFHack, if you have it.

The pipes would start at a body of water, such as a pool, river, or lake, and dump the water above the burning objects, smothering them. Or you could opt to flood the whole room. Either way, a drainage would need to be built if you want the room back. Otherwise, feel free to just seal it, and laugh at the dragon's misfortune.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 12:53:57 pm »

• Build a 1x1x1 cube above it with hatch.
  • Fill it using pond/pasture settings and dwarves bridgade.
  • Open hatch.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 02:50:32 pm »

I don't know if it works, but I'd try to make it even simpler than Nikow:
- Build up staircase beside burning item.
- Build up/down staircase on top of that (or dig, if the roof is in the way. In that case, also channel out the tile directly above the fire).
- Designate a single tile pond in the air in the tile above the fire ('i' to designate it, 'pPf' to make it a pond) (Nikow's step 2).
- Watch the bucket brigade bring water one bucket at a time and dump it on the fire.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 07:40:00 pm »

• Build a 1x1x1 cube above it with hatch.
  • Fill it using pond/pasture settings and dwarves bridgade.
  • Open hatch.

If I try to build near it, it says I have no access to building materials.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 02:52:15 am »

Dorfs might refuse to build in the tiles adjacent to the fire because of the heat. If that's the case, build two tiles away and a floor on top to reach the tile above the fire. If needed, you can go one more tile upwards.
Another reason for lack of access to building materials is that there is no path to the building site, in which case a path must first be dug/constructed.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 01:44:51 pm »

If I try to build near it, it says I have no access to building materials.
Well, maybe you don't.  Pic?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 07:38:20 pm »

Dorfs might refuse to build in the tiles adjacent to the fire because of the heat. If that's the case, build two tiles away and a floor on top to reach the tile above the fire. If needed, you can go one more tile upwards.
Another reason for lack of access to building materials is that there is no path to the building site, in which case a path must first be dug/constructed.

They wouldn't go close to the fire because of the heat. Thanks! This solved my problem :)
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ