Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Styx: Master of Shadows Let's play anyone?  (Read 795 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Styx: Master of Shadows Let's play anyone?
« on: May 09, 2015, 05:21:47 pm »

So i was thinking about making a youtube let's play for quite some time now and decided that styx is as good of a pick as any. Especially i completed it relatively recently and would like to try m hand at doing it again with (hopefully) entertaining commentary.

The game itself is the bastard child of the old Thief, Sly Cooper and Warhammer (the fantasy one) where as a goblin you have to survive in a giant human fortress town... thing and do plot related things while hopefully remaining unseen.

However there are several variables i'd like to be filled out by anyone interested before i get on with the game and recording.
(Oh and don't expect super high quality video my PC handles the game itself with likely little spare processing power to spare so it might jitter... but not to the point of causing eyestrain i hope)

1 - Difficulty level
it ranges from easy to hard plus a special difficulty level called goblin.
On goblin all guards one hit KO you in melee without even giving you a chance to defend yourself (other than that it's just like hard).

2 - Scavenging collectibles and tokens.
Each level (with 2 exeptions) has 10 tokens scattered all over it and gathering them is quite frankly... pretty boring and i'm not sure if i could do that in a timely manner even after collecting all tokens in another playthrough. The other kind of collectible is far less tedious as you get a piece of parchment giving you clues where they might be.

3 - "Grinding" offscreen.
The game has no grinding per say however it does have character advancement tied to completing extra (usually simple) objectives like "don't kill anyone" or "don't get spotted" earning you badges.
Now since completing a level without stabbing anyone is nice and all but i don't think it makes for an entertaining watch.
But i still could use those badged and the experience they provide to buff the character with extra moves and abilities.
I could either go ahead and earn those badges while not recording (the game lets you replay every level as many times as you wish so in one playthrough i might get half of the secondary objective and another half in another and the game will consider the level beaten in 100%) or go with a "What's done is done" mentality and I'll simply push onward (not getting 100% of everything does not affect the ending) without going for a 100% clear.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:25:25 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.