Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A city to settle in  (Read 4439 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A city to settle in
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 07:16:45 pm »

Thanks for the input everyone! I've been hanging out in Melbourne, FL for nearly a month, and I really enjoy it here. I'm planning to poke around the East Coast proper for a bit, then loop back to North Dakota. I'm putting out more feelers for people looking for tank experienced people, but assuming that nothing hooks, I'll probably pick a city in the beginning of July.

Probably something near a beach. Beaches nice. Unfortunately, neither my Spanish nor my Korean is really good enough for foreign work, and I'd be iffy about a full relocation to another country without more sellable skills than what I have (but if anyone needs the best tank sergeant you're likely to find, feel free to pm :|).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 08:41:49 pm »

You don't need Korean to work in Korea. Native English speaker pretty much all get the same deal: You teach English, get around $2000 a month, free apartment, free flight to and from Korea, free healthcare and free visa. It's super easy. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 08:44:40 pm »

I dunno, Meph, from what I was reading, and from the people I was talking to in Itaewon, it's somewhat iffy to get one of those jobs for any length of time. It'd be a ridiculously cool gig to have, though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 10:08:46 pm »

A year usually. But they get renewed after a year, if you want. I can send you some email addresses of people I know who did it or are in Korea right now.

Same thing counts for China, Taiwan and Japan btw, they are all crazy for native-english speaker. If you got a bachelor in ANY degree, doesnt have to be teaching-specific, it's even easier.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 11:00:25 am »

Dude, come across the world to this Melbourne.
You can rent one of our spare rooms, and my buddy can get you a job shoveling poop and/or serving beverages at rowdy Jewish weddings. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 01:34:24 pm »

Yeah, listen to that guy. They even have penguins there.

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 07:38:42 pm »

With all seriousness, though, it's a great place to live, coming from a resident.  Although if you find yourself on the conservative end of the political spectrum, you might be uncomfortable with the liberal bent of the city.

Haven't we just about purged the libertarians by now? You guys have just about converted me, even.
As an added plus, we have incredibly robust public transit for a city of our size.  That's how I get to and from school every day.

Only by west coast American standards. It's highly competitive in the bike friendliness though, lots of unused bike paths due to successful bike lobby and crappy weather. I'm not sure if the OP is looking to move to a US city. He also doesn't mention what sort of weather he enjoys.

If you are looking for a nice mid size city with sun and doesn't vomit politics on you at every turn, then you need to avoid Portland. Portland is great for young people to retire and people that love 9 months of clouds and rain. Seriously if you consider yourself an outdoors person do not be fooled, Portlanders act like they are all about hiking and biking but in reality they aren't. It's far too cold and rainy all the time and none of the rivers there are swimable. So water sports are non existent right along with other outdoor activities.

Still my fav city though because I like to be indoors drinking beer and looking at strippers. No one does beer and strippers like Portland. Not sure why they sell themselves as an outdoorsy mecca. They do have tons of bike paths though, just not many bikers due to the weather.

My fav US cities are SAC, PDX and Seattle. All west coast, Seattle is getting expensive though. :-(  San Fran, LA, Oakland and San Diego are ridiculously crowded and polluted. Some people like walking over human shit on the way to the bus stop I guess.

So that's my take. Hope it helps.

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 07:39:55 pm »

As an added plus, we have incredibly robust public transit for a city of our size.  That's how I get to and from school every day.

Only by west coast American standards. It's highly competitive in the bike friendliness though, lots of unused bike paths due to successful bike lobby and crappy weather. I'm not sure if the OP is looking to move to a US city. He also doesn't mention what sort of weather he enjoys.

If you are looking for a nice mid size city with sun and doesn't vomit politics on you at every turn, then you need to avoid Portland. Portland is great for young people to retire and people that love 9 months of clouds and rain. Seriously if you consider yourself an outdoors person do not be fooled, Portlanders act like they are all about hiking and biking but in reality they aren't. It's far too cold and rainy all the time and none of the rivers there are swimable. So water sports are non existent right along with other outdoor activities.

Still my fav city though because I like to be indoors drinking beer and looking at strippers. No one does beer and strippers like Portland. Not sure why they sell themselves as an outdoorsy mecca. They do have tons of bike paths though, just not many bikers due to the weather.

My fav US cities are SAC, PDX and Seattle. All west coast, Seattle is getting expensive though. :-(  San Fran, LA, Oakland and San Diego are ridiculously crowded and polluted. Some people like walking over human shit on the way to the bus stop I guess.

So that's my take. Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:42:13 pm by Jo »
Pages: 1 2 [3]