Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquatic Civilization in 40.24? some questions  (Read 1002 times)

Hobelhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquatic Civilization in 40.24? some questions
« on: May 05, 2015, 03:34:31 pm »

Hi guys,

I've been getting into making custom civilizations recently and was wanting to try something a little more exotic than my plant-men... I want to make an amphibious Fishman civilization that can raid the coasts. I haven't been able to find a thread on this idea relating to the current version of DF. So I have a couple questions:

1)If preferred biomes are set to Ocean, will constructed cities be placed on the highest solid surface, that is, underwater? Or will they be placed on the nearest flat surface... that is, on top of the ocean? I imagine the latter option would be a bit fatal for any fishmen once the physics engine caught up to it.

2)Does the engine support underwater plants right now? Say if I wanted them to farm a modded-in seaweed so they'd have something to eat other than by hunting whales or whatever.

3) Is using aquatic creatures as mounts functional?

4) Is there an easy way to make the child form of a creature use a different bodyplan than the adult? Say if I wanted to make Fishman children have a "tadpole" form.

Let me know if anyone else has dealt with these kinds of issues! Thanks!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic Civilization in 40.24? some questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:38:46 pm »

1. No
2. Not sure
3. Sorta
4. There isn't even a hard way, much less an easy way

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »

4) Is there an easy way to make the child form of a creature use a different bodyplan than the adult? Say if I wanted to make Fishman children have a "tadpole" form.

Couldn't you like, give them an interaction that they use on themselves as soon as they are born, which turns them into tadpoles (which would have to be a separate creature) for X time units? Make it add some permanent tag or whatever that makes sure they can't use it again.

The time they would spend as tadpoles would vary between the game modes though ._.

Not sure about this though.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 04:46:07 pm »

It would also make every single person you meet in adventure mode and every migrant and/or invader in dwarf mode become a tadpole for that length of time.