Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege of undead and living invaders  (Read 649 times)

Yone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege of undead and living invaders
« on: May 03, 2015, 03:25:24 pm »

So I embarked near a tower and eventually a group of zombies besieged by fortress. So far so good. Then, a few years later a siege arrived with the announcement "The dead walk. Hide while you still can!", but it was made up of zombie elves and living (non-necromancer) humans. Which doesn't make sense, especially since undead automatically attack all living things. And the invaders are just standing around and not going to my fort, even with the doors unlocked and several animals outside.

Pictures:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege of undead and living invaders
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:28:29 pm »

Looks like some bizarre loyalty bug. I'd hold onto the save and make a report to the bug tracker.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 03:51:37 pm »

I've had several undead sieges which consisted of one or two living non necromancers (often goblins) plus a number of undead. I've thought the living ones were minions of the necros, who didn't bother with such a minor siege (alternatively were skulking and never revealed themselves).

Invaders unable to find the fortress has been a plague of mine for quite some time. Sadly, it's not unusual for invaders to drift aimlessly along the edge of the map, back and forth. My worst case was a force that drifted for a year before giving up. The morons have at times even entered my wide open trade depot entrances, only to back out again.
I suspect (no proof) invaders have a number of pathing issues:
- Too far away from the fortress might be a factor.
- At least for undead, one of them finding the fortress does not result it communicates the location to the rest of them. I've recently had a drifting force where 4 undead stumbled upon the fortress and got caught by my cages while chasing local wildlife. The rest of the force eventually left as the new season arrived.
- Morons entering trade depot entrances and backing out might have been thrown off by the fact that the trade depot have been located lower than the meeting area/mess hall, and in order to reach the meeting area they'd have to pass under it and then go up.
- Once a force (or I suspect its leader in the case of undead) has detected the main entrance, using the trade one suddenly has no longer been an issue, so I've then been able to have them running back and forth as I close/open the drawbridges.
- Enemies appearing behind a volcano have had extreme difficulties pathing to the fortress located just on the other side of it (but a lot lower). I suspect first pathing up and then down is difficult, especially if the main entrance is facing the other way.
- Because of enemy drifting, I now embark only on perfectly flat terrain, and make sure the trade depot and the meeting hall is on the same level.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:19:38 am »

Well, I always had fishermen and farmers accompany the zombies and necromancers in sieges. And never questioned it, they are probably the apprentices or something, legends mode should help to find out.
I also had a few ambushes (or attempted thefts, as they fled as soon as very spotted) by necromancers and various elves-humans accompanying them.

Yone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:12:41 pm »

I didn't know if this ever happened to other people or was something weird going on with my game. So I guess that raises the question that you always ask yourself while playing DF: feature or bug?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 11:45:57 am »

I observed this a few times on my 40.x fortress, some living enemies amongst the undead hordes.
I doubt it's a feature, as undeads are supposed to attack anything that live, only undeads (other zombies and vampires) and necromancers aren't their targets.
And none of those living enemies were necromancers or vampires.