Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FPS Death Again  (Read 4643 times)

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Death Again
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 10:47:13 pm »

Tree's and their growth seem to slow the game down.  Try embarking in an area with no surface tree's, and just import logs if you can, or just rely on cavern tree's instead if your conduct or situation disallows imports.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 11:30:54 pm »

Play with a pop-cap of 30, it's extremely fun (and no, I don't mean !!FUN!!). Basically it's impossible to suffer FPS death, you get very intimate with your dwarfs, and combat feels more balanced with fewer dwarfs, especially now that it's easy to get Legendary combat dwarfs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 02:05:50 am »

I find running a fortress with too few dorfs causes the problem of too much work and too few hands. My current fortress is having a slow birdsplosion because the dorfs aren't collecting the eggs in a timely and consistent manner. Few dorfs also means running the risk of hides rotting because the tanner is on leave, and, when back, resumes with another of his jobs, e.g. as a gem cutter. Another issue is to be able to clean up after the previous invasion attempt before the next one hits. Crops wither in the fields because the time critical tasks that prompt harvesting are too few and far between, etc. The above can be worked around with a lot of micro management, but that will slow the effective game rate even more than a poor FPS count because of the constant pausing and job shuffling.

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 06:02:08 am »

I'm currently running a desert embark with a completely flat terrain and no trees. 3x3 embark on smaller (33x33) world. It's been running for 5 years now, 96 dorfs, hard-capped at 100, and I'm still getting 95-100 fps when there's no caravan or flame breathing FB around.

Unfortunately it utilizes rib cage design with a central staircase, so my fps went down to 80 before I walled off all unused mine shafts like this one, which were present between my main area and magma forges.

Now I'll try to do something with cavern trees, as they grow faster than I'm able to cut them down and use their wood :(

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 07:09:01 am »

Trees are indeed a major drag, and will gum up the caverns as well as the surface almost completely given time. I'm considering paving over most of the surface, alternatively turn most of it into a lake (by gradually extending the murky pools).
The caverns can be dealt with either by paving, or, possibly easier, digging.
On my current embark I'm cutting trees full time at the surface, with the intention to use either the lake or paving approach once the tree huggers make their logging quota demands.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »

I find running a fortress with too few dorfs causes the problem of too much work and too few hands. My current fortress is having a slow birdsplosion because the dorfs aren't collecting the eggs in a timely and consistent manner. Few dorfs also means running the risk of hides rotting because the tanner is on leave, and, when back, resumes with another of his jobs, e.g. as a gem cutter. Another issue is to be able to clean up after the previous invasion attempt before the next one hits. Crops wither in the fields because the time critical tasks that prompt harvesting are too few and far between, etc. The above can be worked around with a lot of micro management, but that will slow the effective game rate even more than a poor FPS count because of the constant pausing and job shuffling.

I find that all of the problems you mention come from poor micromanagement. The only real issue is cleaning up after invasions, but my FPS is so fast I don't mind leaving a bloody battlefield outside my gates.

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:40 pm »

One thing that affects FPS most is the fact that dwarfs will try searching for an alternative route if there's someone in their way. This way if you have one dwarf walking along a corridor he will most likely do one path search and move to his destination. But with ten dwarfs each of them is very likely be blocked by every other of them and re-search the path nine times. This happens especially when there are several one tile wide corridors (In another word, in most caverns that features this sort of structure. In fact, I once had a dwarf run in circle for like 3 times because every time he repathed another dwarf came to block his way)
Pages: 1 2 [3]